Does The Bass Overpower The Mix?

Dé Von

Hi! So i just released this today. fortunately I have a pro account, so I can replace files through an upload, but I'm curious as to if the bass overpowers the mix. I'm the producer and the engineer for this one and I'm looking for feedback. Also any general thoughts on the song would be awesome! Grazie! :)

Link:
https://soundcloud.com/de_x_de/likerihanna

short answer: No :P i think it's well balanced.
but i think the mids in this bass are low in volume. so i'd leave the sub for what it is, and make some room for that midbass.
i don't think it overpowers the mix, but adding some midbass may make it a bit more tactile and dirty.
however, that's just my opinion. good mix! keep it up :)

Last edited:
took me the longest time to figure out how to get back here haha (i'm a noob)

Thanks! I think you're right. That's real good advice, and thanks for the compliments on the mix!

The bass was a bit loud, but it fits the style fairly well so I can understand that balancing move. But I was not so hooked though, it felt a bit powerless for lack of better terms, something about the mid range and something about the dynamics, but there were a few really nice licks in there too that teased me very well, I just wish I would like to listen to it again. I think I am not hooked into the rhythm of it, i think that is were the impact is missing, I want it a bit more rough and cool on the drums, not less soft, but a bit more bite to it and some more elegant delay moves. Good job, but I think there is quite a lot of room for improvement. Less bass, yeah i think it would be better...

thanks man! i appreciate the honest feedback. Definitely trying to improve everyday. I'm super critical of my work, which is why I sent this out here. I'm glad you enjoyed what you DID enjoy from it, and I'll take the rest into consideration next time - Dé Von

thanks man! i appreciate the honest feedback. Definitely trying to improve everyday. I'm super critical of my work, which is why I sent this out here. I'm glad you enjoyed what you DID enjoy from it, and I'll take the rest into consideration next time - Dé Von

Yes, you can always see how it hits/pops, and if hits well you lean more towards the positive feedback and when not you lean more to the critical feedback. The good thing about that is that when it does not hit at least you have some opinions out there and hence are not left totally clueless of why it does not hit. But I find that generally one has a pretty good instinct about roughly how well it is going to hit, but it's when that instinct is totally off that the critical feedback is so helpful.

Back