Do you tube your kicks to match the key of your song?

If you have the ear for it and can tune your kick to the key of the song it will work more harmoniously and will help prevent conflicting frequencies in the low end. It's something that I never bothered with but now realise that every little helps.

Depends on the kick. Acoustic kicks don't usually have the kind of prominent fundamental frequency that it'd sound very much "off" even if you don't tune it, while 808s and the like do (not to mention how often they're used as the bassline these days). But the bottom line is that you tune it if need be.

I don’t unless it’s a drumbreak and the only reason I mess with it’s tune is to match the tempo. But like the guy above said 808s usually gotta be tuned to the key or at least to a relative key to your song, especially if it’s your B-line too hahaha

+1 krushing

For me it really depends on the track and the kick/bass combo. Generally if your using a short kick, I find that it isn’t as important to have it tuned to your track. Long kicks with lots of sub information start to make a difference weather its tuned or not. Some kick/bass combos just work well together tuned or not

Yes your drums should be tuned. I don't tune breakbeats since I put them in the background.

You make sure your melodies and other instruments are in tune, right? Why wouldn't you tune your drums??

Last edited:
this topic has been debated for a long time. I find that most of the time it is not necessary. I only tune the melodic lows; ie 808s, long kicks..if I have to I will tune the kick to the perfect 5th of the root but it's rare. i usually just grab another kick if the first doesn't sound right. with acoustic drums, absolutely not. But it's subjective and depends on your workflow and method

Back