Do you guys record vocals over a raw unmixed beat?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, as a producer/engineer I have a question. I am trying to start getting into rapping myself and I was wondering if you guys sometimes will mix your beats completely like reverb and compression and all that and then go and record over it or should everything be done dry and raw and mixed at the same time? Basically I use maschine and I drag into pro tools to arrange my beat. Once I arrange the beat I then go and mix and eq and put effects and what not but what I'm wondering is should I be doing that after the vocals or on or before? thanks again guys

Hey ,
You could always have some basic effects that provide your beat a certain feeling in order for you to rap on it easily .

Basically its wrong to mix a beat and then try to mix the vocals in , because when you want them to fit in . In the mixing process most of people usually cut some freq on a certain channel eg melody - piano . and boost the vocal part .

In conclusion ,
have a rough mix but you will need to change it as soon as the vocals are recorded .

I havent studied music in a university so you may want to wait others to post too .

Good luck !

the way you are working is right but there may be times during the beat creation process where you may want to use a reverb on a certain element or another kind of effect on another element. There may be times after the vocals are recorded to where you may need to add a certain kind of effect to an element of the music and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Where you get into trouble is going too far with the mix of the instrumental before you have actually recorded the vocals, then you end up doing twice the amount of work only to end up with a completely ruined piece of music. So keep doing what you are doing, I am actually happy that you are working like this because it is so much better than these guys who come on here asking about mastering techniques for beats or a half finished song that has not even been properly mixed yet.

Back