Difference in DAW

EXM

Has anyone noticed a difference between DAW platforms? I have been using Ableton DAW but when I hear tracks produced in Reason it makes me want to switch platforms. Although I entirely do not want to switch from Ableton.

Thoughts?

Nope. Too many variables.
The differences are how a program is designed, workflow.
And how the user of a daw mixes in a daw whatever daw it is.
Even fl studio or lmms.

I love Ableton but a friend of mine is using Reason where he said he has been using major compression but that's all he is using. It sounds honestly better than what I am doing in Ableton it's much louder and more full. I dont see how he could be getting the results he is getting with only compression. I feel there is a major difference in output between the two programs. As you have stated I stand corrected for the longest time I didn't know what it was but after he sent me a link to his audio stream it then hit me again. I have been going through crazy extents lately to try and improve my sound such as using transient masters, dynamics processing, multi band compression, eqing everything unecessary, parallel compression when needed. He stated he is not even using mastering. I really feel there is a major difference. I have not seen his projects so I don't really know at this moment what he's doing but I can hear a mega difference.

as I posted in another thread, you can make Any music on Any DAW with ANY quality, changes are workflow and the Plugins that come with the DAW.

Trust me, switching DAWs and relearning the workflow instead of just getting better with ur used DAW is a waste of time :D
I personally tried out Reason and it´s been the biggest pain in the ass for me from all other DAWs, I use the advantages of FL Studio duo I use FL Studio as a VST instrument for my drums cause it´s way easier to make drum beats in FL Studio but I would never ever switch from Cubase to another DAW only because some pros use Logic :D

I know famous producers that use reason, I know famous producers that use ableton, all of them make tracks of the best quality ;)

The reason why the sound of your friend is better because he spend more time into practicing :D

Last edited:
He has been using the programs for less than half the amount of time as me. I have taught myself but I have been at it for 6 years strong.

I was was thinking not changing my daw but rewire I was hoping to get some advice as I do not want to shell out 300$ for no reason. I also have Adobe Audition at my expense. I saw it is possible to Use Audition as a host for Ableton. I have also read online Ableton users bashing the Ableton "sound engine" some users implying this is not true.

Maybe it is user error. I'm reaching out this is consuming me smh. The only thing I could think that I could majorily change that I don't do now would be using light compression alongside heavy parallel compression. I feel my tracks the drums sound good it's the instruments that are really lacking. I usually use light compression for the peaks and duplicate the instance of the sound is weak, when I guess I could squash it.

I'm not sure what problems you're having but bruh, ableton can do what reason does, and reason actually has less shit out the box lol.
Maybe it's the mixing, or maybe plugin confusion?
Cuz I also got ableton, that came with a focusrite and I'm positive that daw isn't an issue.

I'm going to try rewire Live inside of Audition to see if that helps at all. Audition seems very sensitive sometimes with staying open. I have been using the edit button for destructive editing I was hoping to talk with some that have used the rewire on multiple platforms but I'm gonna give this idea a chance.

Last edited:
I was recording my final mix to a single audio track and editing the clip in audition as a slave but did not find any major difference.

You're confused about plugins are you?
The sounds and stuff and mixing.
Effects processing?...eh? Yoooo watchu mean.

Asio instead of realtek?

Ahh, the good old "audio engine" discussion...believe me, this has been tested to death (with a somewhat more scientific approach than "his stuff sounds better than mine" :) ) and the results are basically always the same - when you strip all the distracting elements like different metering, pan laws, default gain settings and possible console emulations, the DAWS sound more or less identical - the "audio engine", which at heart is just a simple matter of summing, sounds good across the board. Of course, when you put all the features, quirks and special characteristics of different DAWs on top of it, things do start to come out different, but it's not because one or the other inherently sounds bad.

As for why your friend's stuff sound good and yours is lacking somehow - it sounds like you're doing a shitload of processing and...your friend just keeps it simple. When you have great source sounds and a straightforward processing chain, it's often enough.

Why don't you meet your friend for a production session and watch over his shoulder for an hour or so while he produces a track. So you can see what he does what you don't do, and also what he doesn't do what you do. This is way of knowlege exchange is the most effective I know.

We can discuss here, but we can only guess and maybe give you a hint, but there is no substitute for sitting next to another producer and watch him work.

I'm working at a radio station and my collegues and me, we are all good at what we do. And we learn a lot from each other by watching over each others shoulder, asking questions and exchanging ideas.

People say there is no difference, and maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like there has to be. Even with different versions of Logic with the same plugins on, my mix sounds a bit different. As far as whether Logic or Pro Tools gives you a better bounce.. I assume it's Pro Tools since it's in 90% of studios but I don't really know. If there is evidence Pro Tools is better, I'll switch over from Logic in a heart beat.

Back