Difference between Mixing and Mastering

ok, thanks for the input...What I think is going on is he has a limiter or compressor on certain parts of the track. Then I think he put a limiter on the master, and I think the main thing is his tracks are stereo....

ok, thanks for the input...What I think is going on is he has a limiter or compressor on certain parts of the track. Then I think he put a limiter on the master, and I think the main thing is his tracks are stereo....

What would make you think that? No offense, but based on your posts you seem to be unclear regarding what "compression" or "limiting" sounds like... So how do you come to the determination that "he has a limiter or compressor on certain parts of the track" and "a limiter on theater"?

...and just about EVERY track you'll hear anywhere is "stereo"... It would be rather unusual for someone to produce a "mono" track unless they were going for a "thing".

What would make you think that? No offense, but based on your posts you seem to be unclear regarding what "compression" or "limiting" sounds like... So how do you come to the determination that "he has a limiter or compressor on certain parts of the track" and "a limiter on theater"?

...and just about EVERY track you'll hear anywhere is "stereo"... It would be rather unusual for someone to produce a "mono" track unless they were going for a "thing".

Well, that's why I said "I think". Im not totally for sure. That's just how it sounds to me. Certain parts of the track don't seem to go past a certain point, and seem to have a lot less dynamics than expected....

And when I said his track was in stereo, I meant that compared to my tracks. I typically take off any, and every stereo fx on my instruments. He seems to have stereo fx on some of his instruments, or he's panning them to both sides...

if hes mixing it well and correctly, he doesnt need a master. or a limiter. compression though yes, you need compression.

sorry you haven't explained how you would use it to achieve that "modern" sound - a sound I know I can produce without using one....

so explain to me why it should be used and how it should be used

sorry you haven't explained how you would use it to achieve that "modern" sound - a sound I know I can produce without using one....

so explain to me why it should be used and how it should be used

It's a secret.....lol j/k. The reason I use master channel compression is to even out the mix, bring the overall lows down a bit, bring the highs up a bit....first you compress the given frequencies then you tick them up in gain....it's like a way of flattening out the mix....bringing all the dynamics into the proper range.....but to be honest, the real compression starts at the individual track level....like I can tell you right now that in one of my songs....there are probably about over 50 compressors. multiband and single . it;s up to you to figure out what works....I don't know if youre asking for advice or ,,,,,this is just what I do,,,,it's what works for me to get the sound I want....you might be after a different sound....does that help?

It's a secret.....lol j/k. The reason I use master channel compression is to even out the mix, bring the overall lows down a bit, bring the highs up a bit....first you compress the given frequencies then you tick them up in gain....it's like a way of flattening out the mix....bringing all the dynamics into the proper range.....but to be honest, the real compression starts at the individual track level....like I can tell you right now that in one of my songs....there are probably about over 50 compressors. multiband and single . it;s up to you to figure out what works....I don't know if youre asking for advice or ,,,,,this is just what I do,,,,it's what works for me to get the sound I want....you might be after a different sound....does that help?

How does 50 compressors in your project work for you? Are you satisfied with your mixes as they are and feel like you are doing it all the right way? To me this sounds ridiculous..

I do not think that at any point I said I could create a compressed sound without using a compressor, what I said was I could create that modern sound without using one - different story, different techniques

I can definitely tell the difference of a mastered and "un-mastered" track . For an example , if some claim they master then compare your tracks on a smart phone with an industry track. All my mixes sound good in the car but when i compare my so called master track to the industry track on the phone then i can tell the industry track is really phat and loud and you can hear everything. I use my phone as good reference cuz it has beats audio but other then that, is it wrong to use that as a reference? But anyway mastering takes time and alot skill and knowledge to understand it. it just not simple as lot of people think. a master plugin is not gonna solve the problem. Understanding it will! Practice makes perfect . Im still learning :P

when i compare my so called master track to the industry track on the phone then i can tell the industry track is really phat and loud and you can hear everything.

This is because the tracks have been mixed properly, the mastering of course makes it sound better and in most cases much louder, but it's still not where the song gets its great sound from. I don't know why so many seem to think that this is how it works. Like the mastering stage is where all these great songs out there will get them that "professional industry-standard" sound and without a great mastering done to it, your tracks can never sound "professional". This is not true!

Last edited:
You can produce compressed sounding tracks without a compressor or having a pre-compressed sample? How?

he didn't say he can produce a compressed sound without using a compressor... he said he can produce a "modern" sound without using a compressor.

Back