difference between mastering and mixing

Lord Thathidge said:
says a lot for a university education tho...was allegedly taught music processing and mastering as a module in my final year at uni whereby the mastering aspect revolved solely around increasing the average rms.

the assignment given was that we had to compose a piece of music, mix it down in either pro-tools or cubase (24 bit or 32 bit fp) and then use all manner of mastering tools with the emphasis being of increasing the overall average rms.

"Good morning class. Today, we'll be studying the effects of hyper-loudness, why it sounds like crap and the negative effects it's having on the music industry and people's hearing.

Then, we're gonna show you how it's done!"
:bigeyes:

MASSIVE Mastering said:

"Good morning class. Today, we'll be studying the effects of hyper-loudness, why it sounds like crap and the negative effects it's having on the music industry and people's hearing.

Then, we're gonna show you how it's done!"
:bigeyes:

...in a nutshell...and at degree level!

it concerns me a little...i know that any graduate moving into the field in which he or she is learned knows to a degree that they will never use most of what they have learnt and that the skills that will see them thru life in their chosen industry will be learnt whilst working and not at uni but still, you'd think the universities would at least try to get it right!

ive a friend who has started on a music course at college for a degree program somewhat retrospectively after working in music for quite a few years.
the tales he comes out with make me shudder. dogmatic thought being passed off as fact based seems to be the order of the day.
this is made worse by a my way or the highway type approach which results in any students thoughts or ideas being nulled immediately regardless of merit.
even techniques,observations etc that come out of professional recording environments either through actual real life experiences or through external reading are dismmised out of hand as being wrong or pointless if they do not concur with that of the teacher.

he is rapidly being isolated within the program by the staff for his questioning of both reasoning and equipment choices even though it seems that these are valid. the point should be that there should be some justification/explanation available for the more curious of students but it seems not.

moses,
agreed ref the language. yours is impeccable, i was meaning that it was perhaps more a general issue of discourse via a forum where something that you type and seems perfectly clear can often be less so and a lack of physical interaction exagerates it. i know ive certainly had it happpen to me many times :)

Back