The Definition of Mastering

The idea that mastering requires more experience than other things bothers me. I know it's called "mastering" and therefore it sounds like a master does it. But honestly that statement above applies to pretty much every aspect of music production - mixing, tracking, editing, production, performance, arrangement, whateva.

I agree and disagree. Which im sure a lot of people do.
With experience and time you become quicker and know the process to it fullest. But in the end of the day if it sounds right it is right. With less music going to cd and vinyl the more techny side of it is less importent.

I agree and disagree. Which im sure a lot of people do.
With experience and time you become quicker and know the process to it fullest. But in the end of the day if it sounds right it is right. With less music going to cd and vinyl the more techny side of it is less importent.

I didn't mean it in the sense that mastering doesn't require expertise. I meant it in the sense that everything else does require expertise.

i wanted to ask you a very important question. if i send my song to someone or a mix and mastering company to get mixed and mastered does that mean i would no longer own my own master???? also does that mean they get a percentage of what i sell???

i wanted to ask you a very important question. if i send my song to someone or a mix and mastering company to get mixed and mastered does that mean i would no longer own my own master???? also does that mean they get a percentage of what i sell???

No. You still retain full ownership of your master.

If I go to a car wash and they polish the rims on my car, do they own a percentage of my wheel?

^^^^^ Yes, the polishing/car wash company gains 5% of the wheel. If you go get it polished over 10 times, the company will then own more than 50% of your wheel, allowing them to collect your wheel withing 72 hours of an official notice. However, you have a right to have your wheel unpolished to gain back a percentage of ownership from the polishing company. This must be done within 12 days of losing majority ownership of the wheel, otherwise your forfeit permanent ownership of the wheel to the polishing company.

Last edited:
I'm an older guy just getting started with a studio. Not completly dumb, but have a long long way to go. I am using protools mixed down to a ML 96 master link. I've been experminting a little and have found some thing I master are as good as some professionals, (but some are pretty bad). Do you know the ML 96 ?

"the process of preparing a body of recorded material for reproduction. That is the actual literal definition of mastering."

...that was the original definition of mastering.
Nowadays it's just making the goddamn song louder and louder.

yes. Loud as hell does not equal mastered.

Back