The Definition of Mastering

"The process of preparing a body of recorded material for reproduction. THAT is the actual literal definition of mastering."

...That WAS the original definition of Mastering.
Nowadays it's just making the goddamn song LOUDER and LOUDER.
You're right that seems to be the trend. There are some great mastering engineers who can make it happen without destroying the mix. But there is a lot of over-compression/limiting distortion and maximizing going on without as much attention paid to the overall aural experience of the LP as a whole. With that said. Nowadays there aren't as many Pop/r&b/rock artists and groups out there with commercial appeal that use dynamics in an artistic way. It would be nice to have some of that back.
Jazzydrewproductions on soundcloud

Here's a good tip. Never master your own tracks. It's better to have another ear. Also if you did everything you need to do in the mix stage then what are you going to master :)

unfortunately a lot of people make their masters really loud, especially pop music. some still sound good, but one can simply turn up the dial on a good track vs having ti blow up at them... no?

There are so many opinions here, many of them very good. One I don't agree with is the theory that mastering should be a subtle enhancement of the mix. Not always.... Mastering should be making the mix you are given sound the best it can. Not hope for a great mix that you have to do nothing too.

What if the client sucks at mixing? I give my clients mixing tips, but what if they can't access the mix? What if a client gives you a mix with the bass +10db to loud, and it need a +15db overall volume boost, and they can't change the mix? Well, your mastering won't be subtle....

Really good info throughout this thread.. love hearing so many different opinions on mixing and mastering. Your music is pretty much nothin if it doesnt sound good.

Back