The Definition of Mastering

what kind of reference track?

an iTunes reference? a YouTube streaming reference? a SoundCloud reference?

how important is sample rate and bit rate when it comes to references?
I always use a lossless track. I mean, it could be possible to use an mpeg but I think the data compression would negatively affect the tonal qualities of the master; especially the bass.

i can dig that, sir

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

but if you're outputting an .mp3, mine as well REFERENCE an .mp3, right?

i can dig that, sir

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

but if you're outputting an .mp3, mine as well REFERENCE an .mp3, right?

No you want to reference a track in the highest quality possible why??
because before you export your track out to MP3
you want it to be the best quality as possible, so your MP3 is in the best sound quality as possible
just like you want uncolored Monitors you need to hear the truth of how you tracks sounds
you may listen to your track in a small boombox and small computer speakers but you always listen through your high quality un-colored monitors

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professional Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

exactly ^

MP3's codec affects the overall harmonic content in very different ways depending on the bit-rate and source. Even if you wanted to export only as an mpeg you should reference lossless or really really high bitrate mpeg. If you reference an mp3 where the sub bass is already cut out, and you premaster your track referencing that file, you'd end up with an mp3 with absolutely no sub bass at all (not to mention you'd also probably cut out most everything about 15khz and you'd be left with a midy muddy mess).

Mp3's cut around from 100hz down and 15khz up as well as narrow the stereo image some.

Bienvenidos a ABA. - Oropesa del Mar. Marina d'Or .
Somos una empresa especializada en el alquiler, compra y venta de apartamentos en Marina d'Or, Oropesa del Mar ,Castellón. Alquilamos exclusivamente apartamentos dentro del complejo Marina d'Or. En los diferentes apartados que le presentamos podrán encontrar lo mejor de nuestra ciudad de vacaciones.

what kind of reference track?

an iTunes reference? a YouTube streaming reference? a SoundCloud reference?

how important is sample rate and bit rate when it comes to references?

I'd recommend using a range of reference tracks. Each song has for instance a loudness potential, as in some can go louder than others due to the sounds/arrangement. So what I usually use is a few reference tracks on the lower volume level (but still commercial) and then a few of the very louder ones. Same goes for brightness and other factors. Then I get the master I'm working on to fit somewhere within those general ranges.

Some guys use a really loud reference for a song that just won't get that loud (without negative effects) and end up trying to crush the song and ruin it instead of settling for a less loud but still loud enough master.

Last edited:
I'd recommend using a range of reference tracks. Each song has for instance a loudness potential, as in some can go louder than others due to the sounds/arrangement. So what I usually use is a few reference tracks on the lower volume level (but still commercial) and then a few of the very louder ones. Same goes for brightness and other factors. Then I get the master I'm working on to fit somewhere within those general ranges.

Some guys use a really loud reference for a song that just won't get that loud (without negative effects) and end up trying to crush the song and ruin it instead of settling for a less loud but still loud enough master.

awesome post

Parque Aventura d'Or consigue la combinación perfecta entre naturaleza y aventura.
En un entorno natural y salvaje de 12.000 m2 con vegetación y roca... réplicas a gran escala de animales y elementos estructurales en madera encontrarán una amplísima oferta de atracciones, Parque Aventura d'Or se convierte en el lugar perfecto para adultos y niños intrépidos. Pista de Quads, jumping, la senda aventura, la caida libre, la araña, la batidora, el grán tobogán, los rápidos y el discóbolo.

for all who already know this, and those who don't.

Compression brings the high levels down, limiting brings the low levels up, eq puts them between each other. It is truly an art.

I consider myself a decent sound engineer... although every mastering engineer I know can't make music like me. ;)

there are a lot of mastering tutorials man, but the definition more or less, is the process for finishing a song talking about its sound quality

Back