cutting off freqs below 50 HZ ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZionSon

Hey what's up fam....got a question for experienced mixers : i've been told to cut off everything below 50 hz - i tried and generally it improves the mix...:cool: yet i'm wondering if there are some sounds that need to keep freqs below 50hz such as bass ? :confused:

Any help is much appreciated, One!

50hz is an odd number to me, but there's no set in stone answer. I've been told 31hz, 40hz, 70hz, 78hz, and 80hz, even 100hz, but never 50hz. Again, no set in stone answer. I'm lucky enough to have a monitoring chain and references I can trust(a few sets of speakers, headphones, car stereo, ect.). I CUT WHAT'S CALLED FOR TO SOUND GOOD IF AND WHEN NEEDED AT ALL.

Cutting lows usually give your bottom end a "cleaner"(for lack of a better word) signal. Even though it does take out some of the thickness in your lows, when done right, it should make them sound waaaaaay better. Keep in mind(I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert, I trust my ears more than numbers)most speakers won't even play back signals below 40hz(or somewhere around there)without distortion and noise. Same for highs, the whole point of cutting and shelving freq's is to make them compatable(for lack of a better word)with everyone's listening devices.

Think of it like you have a huge painting that you can see in it's entirety, but you sell it to someone who's wall is smaller than the painting. You wanna cut off the edges just right so they still get your full vision even though the picture is gonna end up smaller. Hope that analogy didn't confuse you. Hopefully someone else can give a clearer explanation. I'm sure mine sounds spaced out as hell, lol.

Best way to understand freq's is experimenting with the finished product. Cut your lows at a few different freq's between 31hz and 120hz throw them all on a CD and just play them in multiple systems, make sure you test in a car. It'll start to make sense.

Last edited:
I don't think it is terrible to do this, and some sources that I've read actually recomend low-cutting as much as possible. (CM magazine)

Sometimes you will want some of the really low sounds below 50hz though on kick or bass. It depends what sounds you want really. No sounds other than those really need anything below 50hz.

As a starting point to learn about low-cutting, I think starting with 50hz off the kick and bass and 100hz from everything else is a good place. This is just a starting point and everything you do should be A-B'd to see if you are actually making things how you want. Also, things should be adjusted to get the sound you want too.

The correct answer is not to cut anything unless you know what you are doing, but it is good to have starting points and the posted suggestion should be safe I think if a little crude.

EP

The Summary

Thanks y'all for the help

so i guess the general conclusion is : 1. cutting off lower frequencies are required only after seeing an audible imnprovement by doing a-b comparisons. (but it generally does improve mix) 2. do not cut unless it's needed because as emmapeel said - some mixes and particular instruments need certain frqencies under 50 hz , 80 hz or any other low ones.. and finally i guess we gotta trust our ears more cuz this ain't math it's music.

if you cut all frequencies below 50Hz, for example you can not get a tight subbass. The subbass frequencies are round about 30Hz. When the track you mix don´t need this bass, cut so much you need and it sounds good. don´t cut to much, this can make your mix boring.

Junic said:
if you cut all frequencies below 50Hz, for example you can not get a tight subbass. The subbass frequencies are round about 30Hz. When the track you mix don´t need this bass, cut so much you need and it sounds good. don´t cut to much, this can make your mix boring.
Not Arguing, but this is why you gotta trust ears. Some monitors/speakers won't pick up subs cut at higher frequencies, but others pick them up way cleaner. Ever heard a Lil jon Record in certain enviroments and thought "damn, I didn't know it knocked like this!!!"

You sometimes have to sacrifice sound in systems that your music isn't made to be played in predominantly to give the systems you want your music to sound the best in the best sound possible.

Ex. when I make music for clubs and cars, if it sounds "AMAZING(10/10)" in those enviroments, I won't be disappointed by it sounding "Aiight(6.5/10)" in other enviroments. I'd be more bothered if it was just "Good(8/10)" in all enviroments. Therefore, I can't say any freq should be set in stone. It's left up to the mix. This goes for Highs and Mids as well.

Last edited:
just don't forget that a slightly high-passed filtered signal will peak higher than the original.

50hz is an odd number to me, but there's no set in stone answer. I've been told 31hz, 40hz, 70hz, 78hz, and 80hz, even 100hz, but never 50hz. Again, no set in stone answer. I'm lucky enough to have a monitoring chain and references I can trust(a few sets of speakers, headphones, car stereo, ect.). I CUT WHAT'S CALLED FOR TO SOUND GOOD IF AND WHEN NEEDED AT ALL.

Cutting lows usually give your bottom end a "cleaner"(for lack of a better word) signal. Even though it does take out some of the thickness in your lows, when done right, it should make them sound waaaaaay better. Keep in mind(I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert, I trust my ears more than numbers)most speakers won't even play back signals below 40hz(or somewhere around there)without distortion and noise. Same for highs, the whole point of cutting and shelving freq's is to make them compatable(for lack of a better word)with everyone's listening devices.

Think of it like you have a huge painting that you can see in it's entirety, but you sell it to someone who's wall is smaller than the painting. You wanna cut off the edges just right so they still get your full vision even though the picture is gonna end up smaller. Hope that analogy didn't confuse you. Hopefully someone else can give a clearer explanation. I'm sure mine sounds spaced out as hell, lol.

Best way to understand freq's is experimenting with the finished product. Cut your lows at a few different freq's between 31hz and 120hz throw them all on a CD and just play them in multiple systems, make sure you test in a car. It'll start to make sense.

Definitely super duper late in this threads life to be adding a post but deRaNged I want to commend you on your answer and add a bit to it.

As always, i'll preface this whole thing with "every tracks going to have its own unique EQing depending on the sound your going for, it's up to your ear, don't pigeon hole yourself, etc etc". I think this is very true, and I think really just keeping an open mind. Keeping your approach simple, whatever it is, is key when it comes to experimenting. Just like in a science experiment, you only change one variable at a time and you count and keep track of everything.

Now having said that, I feel like music and its creation has a duality with deh "Science" I ramble about. More specifically mixing, which is ultimately what this thread is about. There are definitely guidelines, "pseudo"-rules, tips and tricks when it comes to mixing. Some of these you can apply in more or less every track; general EQing, compressing the whole drum kit (depending on type of music to a degree), leaving 3dB - 6dB headroom when your done.

Bringing it back to the thread topic and your question...I cut most of my kick drums and bass/sub channels with the Auto Filter (Ableton 9) @ exactly 50 Hz w/ the Q set at .81. The Auto Filter, even with the cutoff @ 50 Hz, is still letting some of the lower freq's pass through. I think the difference in sound and general lower clarity is indispensable for the style of music I make.

Generally speaking, every frequency present in your overall mix is taking up space in it including ones you don't hear. This results in less headroom and reduced dynamic range, esp in the freq regions closest to the offending ones. And like Deranged said, not a lot of systems can even accurately play back frequencies up 50 Hz. Our ears can't tell a pitch from it either, its really only meant to be "felt" (I think, anyway). I make East-West style hip-hop typically, and my main focus is thick kicks over meaty sub or layered basses.

At the end of the day it comes down to preference, as has been said a billion times lol. I think adding that 50 Hz HPF compliments my style and the other material and techniques I've picked up. Everyone eventually accumulates sounds, FX, techniques, tips and such that they use over and over. It's our style and brand, and is hopefully memorable or unique enough to strongly stand out while still sounding good.

Hows that for a space out answer haha. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Also, cutting below 25 \ 30 hz is great to make sure that there's no rumble when the song is played on club speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back