Cutoff Automation

Brownz

Hey guys, is cutoff automation minus 3db of the high filter? I'm trying to use the cutoff of a one shot but i'm not exactly sure what a cutoff automation is, and is it over 8 bars?

automating the cutoff can be anything from opening it all the way up to closing it all the way down i.e. there is no set value, only a musical/creative choice about how to manipulate it (open/close), how long you take to do it and how often you do it

for classic filter cutoff sounds listen to early Tangerine Dream, early Kraftwerk, mid Pink Floyd (particularly the Dark side of the moon)

It sounds like cut-off or automation aren't what you think the are. Automation is (for standard DAWs) where you draw a line or curve that defines how some parameter changes over time. In this case filter cut-off, that is the frequency knob of the HP filter, is controlled by one of those curves. So your question doesn't really make sense. Automation can be for any parameter (depending on the DAW) over any time period and over any range of values (depending on the parameter).

It sounds like cut-off or automation aren't what you think the are. Automation is (for standard DAWs) where you draw a line or curve that defines how some parameter changes over time. In this case filter cut-off, that is the frequency knob of the HP filter, is controlled by one of those curves. So your question doesn't really make sense. Automation can be for any parameter (depending on the DAW) over any time period and over any range of values (depending on the parameter).

This is true........There's really no rule for automation.........it's only a matter of what you are looking for.....

Back