Cubase and PROTOOLS dilema..please help?

M

MechaGodZilla

my boy..recorded his entire album on cubase in brooklyn

and now we gotta mix it but the mixing studio is manhattan!

is there anyway for the engineer in brooklyn to save the files

so that they will load up in protools

tracked out??????

please help.. asap..
thank you!!!!!

bounce the tracks (the different tracks of a tune) to 24bit 44100hz .wav files with the same lengt, starting and ending point, and loading the tracks into pro tools is no problem

there is no other solution, pro tools is incompatible with any other daw.

Ok, I'm a Protools guy, so this may or may not make sense in Cubase.

If you can select a timeline to bounce to disk (like you can in Protools), then select from your zero mark out past the end of the song. Solo that track and bounce. Solo another and bounce...until you have them all. (If you can do a 'consolidate' like in Protools, that might be better; then just go fish all the files you need out of the project directory).

The point is to make sure all the tracks you transfer start at the zero mark on the timeline. If you have a track that doesn't start at zero already, just bounce the silent space in between zero and the start of the track. In fact, bounce *all* space, silent or not, between zero and the end of the song. It will eat some space when you're transferring, but the Protools engineer can take it out later. It's only a placeholder.

If you get them all at *perfect* zero (not even zero + 4 samples), the Protools engineer can rebuild the project using only the audio files, and you'll never know the difference. He'll import and drag them all to the zero mark, then it's like you never left Cubase.

Just a note - when you export or bounce, try not to affect the audio files *at all*. Eliminate all effects on each track and the master fader(s). Bounce to the same bitrate and bitdepth that you recorded in. (if 24bit 44.1kHz, bounce to 24bit 44.1kHz).

Last edited:
selector waxx said:
bounce the tracks (the different tracks of a tune) to 24bit 44100hz .wav files with the same lengt, starting and ending point, and loading the tracks into pro tools is no problem

there is no other solution, pro tools is incompatible with any other daw.

So Cubase or Logic or DP, in their native format, is compatible with every other DAW? Yeah right! The "lite" versions of Cubase are practically incompatible with not only current full Cubase versions, but also older ones, whereas PTLE and MP files are compatible with pretty much any version of PT. The so-called standard is the OMF files. Now THAT is where PTLE falls short. It's $500 for the DigiTranslator.

IMHO, if you're sending it for someone to mix or add tracks too, then exporting them as consolidated wav files is the best way to go.
Peace

aliengroover said:
So Cubase or Logic or DP, in their native format, is compatible with every other DAW? Yeah right! exporting them as consolidated wav files is the best way to go.
I think if you read again, you'll find we're all on the same team here...

I didn't say we weren't on the same page. I was just responding to Selector's statement that, and I quote: "pro tools is incompatible with any other daw"...

I felt the need to clarify that you can say that about pretty much every DAW, not just PT. That's all. There are people that won't use a program because of "compatibility issues" when, again, it's pretty universal in regards to the subject of this thread.
Peace

Another option is to talk to the engineer at the studio you're going to. Ask them if they have the digi translator. The digi translator allows Pro Tools to be able to import .omf files. Then, you can export from Cubase to omf and then open the omf files in pro tools. The only thing to watch out for would be to make sure that your beat is loaded up as two mono files and not 1 stereo file since PT loads up stereo files as two mono files.

Talk to the engineer first. Even if you had PT files and they had PT at their studio, it's good to communicate and make sure that you're on the same page. Some might still want everything tracked out for their own reasons.

damn..i love the help..thank you everyone
peace
MeccaGodZilla

Back