Controlling external synths with a keyboard

wisebaxter442

Hey guys, I bought a Yamaha PSR - E443 Keyboard and want to use it to control a microbrute, Volca keys and Mininova. The keyboard has no MIDI in or out but USB obviously. Does this mean I can control these synths indirectly through the computer using my keyboard? Can MIDI data be passed into the computer and out into the synths? I've bought a small midi interface with 2 in/out so could I use this to pass the MIDI data into the synths? Thanks

Last edited:
If it can send midi data via USB then yes... But I have a funny feeling that you can't? I think (from reading about it just now) that USB is just for settings and sound backup...

Let me know if I'm wrong...

Microbrute has midi out yeah; and the mini nova has midi over USB? Why not just use one of these instead (unless you want the yamaha sounds too...?)

Yes - your midi interface can send and receive midi to and from your microbrute; volca and mininova... With only two output ports; you may need to work out how to use a MIDI out port as a thru port and pop the volca after another synth in sequence (you could then control the volca separately on a different midi channel to the first synth...)

Thanks a lot for your help. I was going for a full length keyboard because I want to learn scales properly and take lessons. A teacher I spoke to said I needed at least 62 keys I think. But I guess I could just use a midi controller. I'm not pining for the yamah sounds. Maybe I should buy an interface with more midi outs. In the meantime can I set one midi out port as a midi thru within the DAW? Or do I need a midi thru box?

I thought USB could transmit MIDI data? Would like to know if I'm wrong too

Last edited:
All good dude... happy to help:

USB (as a computer protocol) can definitely send midi data... but only if the gadget it's attached to lets it do this. From what I read, I think the yamaha thing only sent backup stuff via the USB... i.e. it wasn't setup to send / receive midi... it only acted like a usb SD card!!

I'd suggest buying a dedicated USB controller keyboard... Using a USB controller keyboard will save you from needing to use a port on your 2x2 midi interface don't worry too much about knobs and sliders if you just want to practice playing and learning... You'll cut out cost by doing this :)

MIDI THRU QUESTIONS:

The midi thru stuff isn't configured in your computer. It's configured in the synthesizer / sound device. a single midi port can send information on 16 different channels. In theory this means that a single port can control 16 different devices. But it's still only one port / one chord out! To pass on the information past the first synthesizer / device, MIDI protocol uses "thru" to allow information entering the first device to continue straight out of a "thru" port so you could plug devices in one after; from THRU to IN; THRU to IN; THRU to IN.... etc..

In the "old days" (recently) all MIDI equipment would have 3 ports: IN; THRU; OUT. In would receive info; thru would instantly send that info out again and on to the next synth; OUT would send information from the synth (e.g. patch data or knob / slider movements) to be recorded / sent somewhere.... But THRU ports were used less and less (in fact MIDI band width screws up when using a lot of thru stuff causing timing issues and errors... so in theory - thru is kind of cr@p); These days many / most synths only have IN / OUT (but the OUT could be configured to act as a THRU in the devices settings)... why? cause thru is cr@p (as I mentioned) AND it costs less (one less port)...

If you want to; then it's probably possible to configure the Mininova OUT as a THRU... then you could send information through it on a different midi channel into the Volca.

FINALLY:

Well hopefully that explains THRU ports ok? BUT... You may not need to do any of that!!

How many USB inputs do you have free on your computer? I did some reading for you, and your Microbrute AND Mininova can both send and receive MIDI from their USB ports. So if they both use a USB port for their midi connection; then you can now plug in you volca to the MIDI interface and you still have one port free for your next synth purchase!

Then inside a DAW (e.g. cubase/logic/ableton) you can sequence each instrument / record or play them via the software DAW. With a controller keyboard you could play all at once; each one individually or any combination...

Hopefully tat makes sense... there's a lot of info to soak up in this post!!

^^^

Oops sorry... :)

Should've added "check the manual"...

I read the part that says "USB TO DEVICE terminal on the instrument lets you load and save your settings and songs, as well as transfer data from connected devices such as a USB flash memory." and couldn't see any direct convo on midi over USB...

Apologies to the OP, but hopefully the advice provided still assists! :)

Well I'm glad I never bought that Yamaha. I thought it might be nice to have something with built in sounds for when I take Skype lessons but I'll just rig up a MIDI controller and use a piano VST plugin going or something. I've found a nice M-Audio 62 key controller for about £100 so I'll grab that and follow your advice concerning the MIDI THRU set up. Thanks for going THRU all that with me :) And for doing some reading on my behalf :D

I feel like I understand the concept of MIDI THRU now and the concept of MIDI much more in general. Nice to know I don't have to expand my MIDI interface just yet as I have about 8 USB Ports. One thing I am lacking though is Audio-ins on my interface. I only have two so if I chain up all the synths I'd only be able to record two of them anyway I'm assuming? So I'll have to just chain a couple for now and get used to sequencing in general before I expand.

Last edited:
Back