Connecting Studio Monitors to computer

Aretnapnam

Is it possible to hook my monitors up to the back of my computer like I would regular computer speakers? I've got a -10 Input and a +4 Input.

U can hook up your monitors to your computers sound card. If you are using a standard sound card with an 1/8 output (headphone jack) you will need to get an adapter but it is possible. The adapter you will probably need is an eith inch (male) to two quarter inch (female). The sound will not be stereo, but it will work. Hope that helps.

It is possible if you are using a standrard computer soundcard with an eighth inch jack (normal headphone size). U need an adapter. It needs one eighth inch male connector that splits into two quarter inch female connections (if your monitor has quarter inch outs). It will not be stereo, but it will work. Hope that helps.

sorry for the double post...still kinda new here

Last edited by a moderator:
You DONT want to connect straight from your soundcard into the monitors. I would recommend a mixer to place inbetween the two. That way you can protect your monitors from digital spikes that harm them (like when you bootup your computer.) But if you dont have money for a mixer at the moment then you should be ok I guess. The adapter from a 1/8 inch to a split 1/4 inch isnt that expensive. I think I was looking at them before when I had the same problem, somewhere around 15-20 bucks or so. But your next purchase after that should be a mixer, even an inexpensive one will do the trick. Hope this helps a little.

Okay, back up. Your computer outputs: 1/8" headphone or 1/4" stereo out are both TRS cables. If you have stereo going through them, they have left and right channels on them for left and right speakers. If you have a mono signal going through the TRS cable, then it may be balanced, you didn't say what you had, but I'm guessing you have an unbalanced TRS stereo speaker out.

What do your monitors have again? Are you trying to hook your unbalanced stereo headphone jack from your computer to an unbalanced monitor input or is it a balanced monitor input? Go read the manual. If the monitor accepts unbalanced, then you need a red and black or red and white Y splitter to divide the signal into left and right mono channels and plug it into your monitors. Don't get a black black Y splitter! Otherwise, your monitors will play the same thing on both sides. Now you have two mono unbalanced signals to work with. If your monitors accept balanced inputs, then you additionally need a direct box to convert your unbalanced mono signals into balanced ones. CompUSA has red black Y splitters, Guitar Center, and Sweetwater have everything else.

see here : http://www.tweakheadz.com/all_about_cables.htm
for some light reading on cables.

Good luck

Like already stated, it's not a good idea to go straight from computer to monitors. If your computer volume control is resets to full, you can blow out your monitors and damage your ears. Also, you decrease the efficiency of the converters since the level is being controlled in the digital domain.

Back