Condenser mic issues.

G-Prynce

Bought a new condenser microphone, but a static noise is always present. If I have the wind cap on (which is what I thought in the start) it makes the noise, and even if it's off it still makes the noise. Any help? The wind cap is a spongey material.

several important pieces of information missing

brand and model of the microphone?
interface or other source of phantom power - is it turned on (phantom power that is)?
gain structures at interface level and daw level (your daw is irrelevant to this troubleshooting process but tell us anyway)

several important pieces of information missing

brand and model of the microphone?
interface or other source of phantom power - is it turned on (phantom power that is)?
gain structures at interface level and daw level (your daw is irrelevant to this troubleshooting process but tell us anyway)

It's a cheap little BM-100FX. No phantom power needed.

any condensor needs phantom power by definition as the power provides the voltage and current necessary for the built in amplifier to work (48v @ 3mA = 0.144W)

in the case of usb mics they receive their phantom power via the usb power supply (5v @ 500mA = 2.5W)

so it is likely that the the annoying tic/hum is part of the usb power supply buss - i.e. you probably need a better power supply for your computer or you should bring the microphone in via a powered hub

any condensor needs phantom power by definition as the power provides the voltage and current necessary for the built in amplifier to work (48v @ 3mA = 0.144W)

in the case of usb mics they receive their phantom power via the usb power supply (5v @ 500mA = 2.5W)

so it is likely that the the annoying tic/hum is part of the usb power supply buss - i.e. you probably need a better power supply for your computer or you should bring the microphone in via a powered hub

What do you mean by a powered hub?

Usb hubs is basically a block of extra usb ports, the powered ones come with an adapter man.
I've never tried upgrading the power supply of a usb hub but there's a 13 port usb hub for like 20$ that can use 13 devices with an ac adapter plugged in.
blekin, sabrent etc those are some companies who make powered hubs.

Back