compressor advice

D

Dj stretch

o.k, i used to have a cheap amp with one of those in built compressor things, but i thought it was time to move on, so i got a new (and far better) amp. I now need a new compressor. There seem to be lots of diffrent makes and modles, so i thought it would be best to go for a make that makes other good dj equipment so that i know it will be good quality, but i still don't know what to go for. I need something reasonably cheap, but not so cheap that it wont do it's job properly. Does anyone have any suggestions?

are you loooking for a studio compression (to connect to a studio mixer with AUX SEND etc..) or is it for your dj stuff? Im asking because you mentionned dj equipment etc..

let me know :)

Just don't go with Behringer, I've got one of their compressors and it's sh!t. It makes noises and the compressor sounds like it's pumping air.

Errm, I've got a Behringer Composer (made about 1996) and it doesn't pump at all. It's got a good noise reduction, limiter and the auto attack and decay time setting works very well over a whole mix.

I certainly haven't had anyone say they were sh!t.

I believe many think it far better than the Alesis.

Oh, I dunno about the Composer. Mine's called the AUTOCOM PRO MDX1400. I don't like it, so I'm getting a DBX instead.

look for dbx series

i think you should study the dbx series
there is some good stuff!but you have to choose the good one
dbx160a mono(do only compression) maybe expensive(500dollars in france) but it COMPRESS!
DBX166XL compress,limit,gate(300dollars)

that's all i can suggest! see ya

Two others you might want to consider - the Drawmer MX30, and the FMR Audio RNC. Both very transparent, really nice clean sounds.

cheers,

James

i actually have an Alesis 3630, stoked that Tricky recommended it!

I think it sounds pretty good. After all these years i still don't understand exactly why it is working or not ... i just twiddle and twirl and eventually get something happening ... BTW - don't bother trying to explain to me about it, becausei have been told a million times but my brain must always get rid of that information, for some reason.

I like the sound of the name Drawmer. Like, Draaaawwwwmer .. it sounds onomatopaecly compressed, kinda ...

I use the Alesis 3630 and it kicks ***. In fact Alesis are a good brand for relatively cheap gear - fx too. Do you just want something to compress an entire mix or individual sounds though?

already using a behringer composer pro for some time now. I want something that has a ratio that goes over infinity (ie negative compression).

dbx 266XL

Give the DBX 266 XL a look (and listen to it)
its a less expensive model like 166XL but it has everything a home studio needs .
The sound is very clear it can be pumping and it cab preform subtile compression too.
I think it has a far better sound quality as a behringer..
its also inexpensive ..
a good choice
i got one and i can recommend it to everyone who wants quality compression in a home studio
(i saw them also in some professioal studios!)

greetz!
DJPJOTR:monkey:

UREI LA-4 Compressors are some of the best ever made. Either these or some of their other valve based compressors can be found in nearly every pro-studion in the world. Thir not budget... maybe $600 American used... and it will be around 30 years old (laugh) but they do a great job.

I've seen schematics for these things and they may not be too hard to build, as long as you can get hold of the correct op-amp parts.

The cheapest UREI I've seem was about $2000 - if you can get one for $600 then grab it!

urei

Yeah, if one was so inclined they could do it. Fairchild Semiconductor still manufactures the BC846 op amp used in the LA4 and the RC4136 op amp used in the LA4A.

I'll admit, I'm not that motivated to build a LA4A replica, I'd rather save the loot and buy one, spend my free time writing and jamming instead.

Back