compression and eq on everything when mixing

Generally, I don't. I have to evaluate whether I really need to process some sounds in my mix before just adding things. There is nothing wrong leaving a sound as it is.

There truly isn't a rule when to use compression or eq and when not to. You really have to figure that out for yourself. There are plenty of tutorials about eqing and compression. Watch some and try to apply what you learn. It takes some time and work until you instictively now when to boost a frequency, when to cut a frequency and when and how to compress a signal.

Having said that, there are signals/instruments that almost always get compression and eq: vocals, drums and basses almost always get compressed and eqed. But then again, there's no rule how much compression and eqing you apply. Are your drums already processed samples? Then all you might want to do is adding some compression on the drum group to "glue" your drums. Is your arrangement full of instruments, then you might want to create some space with subtractive eqing (attenuating frequencies), so the instruments don't stand in each others way.

It's a complex subject, but don't let that turn you down. We all had to figure out by trial and error, learning some trick here and there, and then try again. Immerse yourself into it. Start playing around with eqs and compressors (and any other plugins) and listen to how they change the audio. When you have a finished or half finished mix, ask for feedback here in the forum. That way you'll learn even faster.

I use eq on every track, to put a high pass filter on at the very least. And often times to clean up the lower mids or add high end to vocals.

Compression not really though. Just if it's hard to find a comfortable level for the track or if it needs to sound more prominent. Ie vocal tracks.

More often than not it's better to take a minimalist approach. At least that's what I've noticed when I'm mixing.

When i listen to my old beats with co EQ and Compression i can hear the difference and right now i can't even imagine a track without it plus a Reverb. When you start using FX you can see the difference and know right away when something sounds flat and it can be much bette. I use Native Instrument's Solid Bus Comp and it does wonders. It allows me to lower the Master volume and bring the make up and the output levels from the plug in and that makes the sound louder with no clipping whatsoever.

Q: Can you hear the sounds in the mix?
A: Compression

Q: Can you hear the right frequencies in the mix?
A: EQ

So both are essential...

Nope. I use reason and s1, and compressors are confusing. I learned how to sidechain in reason s1 though but not sure the process seems like you put compressor on the stuff to modular then connect whatever source to pump it. Not aure why it works like that but hey lol.

You have to try and see how it changes the vibe of the track. You can use reverb on the master, or you can use it for example only on the snare to give it more space. You can use it on just a melody if you want. You have to experiment and see how it changes your beat. I make my music on Maschine so i use the stock reverb from there and occasionally the Vintage Verb from Guitar Rig 5, but i'm sure you can find a decent free reverb plug in that you can use on FL.

Back