compression in edm

Mostly if something is not constant in volume/level and it keeps going up and down throughout the entire mix, then you can use compression to fix that problem and keep the volume constant. Sometimes you might use a compressor to bring up the attack of a sound and bring down the sustain, while sometimes you might want to bring up the sustain and bring down the attack.

Compression can also be used to glue sounds and make them sound as one, for instance, using a compressor in a drum/vocal bus or group channel will glue the sounds together. Sometimes you can use a multi-band compressor to fix a specific problem frequency.

In some cases you might find that using an EQ (static EQ) might make a sound dull in certain parts of a mix (maybe in the chorus because there's too many sounds) so using a multi-band compressor to squash the frequency (in a good way) whenever it exceeds a certain threshold will fix the problem a lot better than using an EQ. Those are the most basic or common uses for compression, hope it helps.

In the case of your song/remix, I think your friends mean you should use compression to control the loud peaks of the leads. I can hear that you sidechained the leads so some minor compression should fix the problem.

Honestly speaking this song needs nothing else. It sounds good as is musically. Keep in mind the people who buy and dance to this kind of music are not listening for how much compression you used on any particular part of the song. Take the advice of other musicians with a grain of salt seeing as the advice they give you on your music is something they would have done if it were their song.

I would in turn love to re-master this song and give it more warmth and roundness and remove those overly sterile digital qualities. If interested contact me via my site below in my sig. I won't charge you anything.

Back