compression causing distortion .

D

dylanf

hey guys my vocals had abit of distortion because of compression it seems but i wanna know how it causes it. Well i know that the peaks are overly squashed but how does compression cause the 'distortion'.

Bad settings are the souce of your problems. Lower the ratio, increase both attack and release time values. Double check the down stream equipment isn't driven too hard by the gain compensation.

i.e. you have added too much make up gain to the compressed audio which is introducing the distortion

reduce makeup gain and revisit your other settings as well

If the compressor has very fast settings (depending on the compressor and the content) the flutter of the gain reduction starts to become an audible frequency in of itself, so it's like adding amplitude modulation.

Might be better to just remove the compressor all together and start again. There's no point in trying to make a bad compressor setting 'work'.

Could be various things, but whenever I encounter this myself I always start with increasing the compressor release time, in case it have started acting like a waveshaper.
Or as BC stated, your output signal might be too hot (or even input signal).

Back