Cloud Rap questions

N.A.K

I've been working to try and get that cloud rap style and so far I understand there's a lot that had to do with reverb (wet) if I'm correct? And I'm really trying to get big kicks and saturated 808s but I've been trying to use the Ferrictds plugin I think it's called and I truly have no idea where to even begin putting it on the 808. Any plugins or vsts that someone could suggest for putting saturation on 808s or to get that really punchy in your face kick??? Thank you anything is appreciated!

There isn't really "wet" reverb. Wet/Dry just means the amount of signal that will have reverb on it (the wetsignal) vs. the amount of signal that does not have reverb on it (the dry signal). A good kick starts with a good sample, there is no saving a poor quality sample. Where you need to begin is simply that, just begin and don't think about where. Compression (including parallel compression) can make your kick bigger, but be careful you don't get that overcompressed sound. Saturation can obliterate a nice round kick and "harshify" it, so be careful with how much you apply. A general rule of thumb is put as much on until you can clearly hear it, and then tone it back until you just stop hearing it. Subtly is key, start off with the built in plug-ins with your DAW. The idea that plug-ins can save a mix is a hoax. Good luck!

Back