Chaning levels after mastering...?

jocasrb

Battle Champion!
Hello everyone...im interested in this: When i finish my mix (ussually i have like 7-8 channels (oldschool style)) after that im going to Main mixer channel (yep thats Master) ... i have on the last position SPAN (just for analyzing my stuff) and then im adding (before that - logically) Izotope Maximizer (with preset which is something like Awkard Loudnes (dont know now really exactlu)) so im changing Gain level (often about from 4dbs to 7dbs, ofc it depends) and i have for making a limiter (red line) i always set there -0.1db (which is good becouse my complet beat isnt that loud)...SO MY QUESTION IS: Is it normaly to do all that what i said and THEN if i think my (for example) hat is too loud to just level-down my hat...? or nomatter...down my level of the main sample...? i think thats not very professional :-)D) but how i heard on my speakers it does a not-bad job.....what do you say guys about this? im also thinking if this INST GOOD WAY, what should i do? maybe, remove that Master plugin (izotope) and then lay down a level of hat(snare,sample, no matter) and then AGAIN PUT master plugin with THE SAME GAIN which i used before...i hope you understand

bypass Izotope maximiser and re-balance your drums as needed (attend to mix levels) switching the maximiser in and out as you go to ensure that your final sound is what you desire

ultimately you do not want to be doing your own mastering if you are uncertain as to what the process is doing

- mastering is about precision, surgical changes to the sound
- it is not slapping on a plug-in and choosing preset because it makes it sound gooderer

Yeah, this hasn't got much to with mastering but simply just mixing through extensive master buss processing...which, from the sound of it, is tricky because changing anything "upstream" will change how the whole master buss reacts. As bc said, take the maximizer off and put more effort in getting the mix right.

Back