changing sound driver to ASIO on DAW changes the whole sound of the mix

Reezy

hey there. im having a little issue with sound driver. as if i keep on primary sound driver i get that latency issue. playback buffers like hell when project crosses 1500 RAM use. but when i change it to ASIO driver it works pretty much fine .the VST's are bridged so it reduces a lot RAM use. but the problem is whole sound on DAW changes with the change of sound driver. and it sounds a lil chipmunk kinda as if i put a high pass filter on the whole mix. i dont know if mixing is suitable and right this way.though primary sound driver gives the whole mix a good natural sound. anybody have any words on this?

Internal soundcards will always pick up interference from other parts of the computer, and they are fundamentally too small to handle a quality signal. Once out of the box you can have the size and distraction free dedicated box to get a true quality sound. As for latency that happens with all audio cards. Best bet is just to freeze and flatten tracks when cpu use gets heavy

I would say the sample rates changed as you changed the audio driver, that's why you're experiencing what you're experiencing, not because asio is somehow like that in nature.

Try to check what you had before, and what it is when you change to asio and change it if needed to match the sample rate of the samples and project.

are you using onboard soundcard or external soundcard?

but project sample rate may be out of whack with driver sample rate causing the somewhat chipmunk effect

i.e. if your project settings were 44.1kHz before changing drivers, it may now be 48kHz which is a a little over 1 semitone rise in pitch if attempts to play back at the new sample rate without converting from the old settings

if it has changed to 96kHz then the shift is a little bit over 14 semitones or a major 9th higher, which is in chipmunk territory

using onboard soundcard.sample rate is at default 44.1kHz. only the buffer length increased to maximum

that would not create a chipmunky like effect in any way shape or form

have you done something else with the connections going in to and out of the soundcard?

Last edited:
sorry its not actually chipmunk. just less boomy. as if i highpassed somewhat 100Hz

Last edited:
Are you using ASIO for your audio interface or a generic ASIO 4 All or ?
Your first choice should be the ASIO for your particular Audio Interface
Previous suggestions as to the keeping the same sample rate are valid and look there too.
Good luck

Ha i push the buffer length to maximum.if i keep around 500 it sounds natural but then plackback stucks like shit

Back