A Capella Music Production

thePSmusic

Hey guys!
Im new here and I hope I'm posting this in the right place. :| So I've been interested in A Capella music for quite some time, and I recently decided to produce one. The results left much to be desired. :/ I'll be posting a youtube link to what I did her, Could you give it a listen, And tell me how I can make it could more cleaner and polished? I created some really cool parts for this song but most of them are barely distinguishable..Could you tell me how to make each part complement each other? And any advice on producing this type of music in general? Tips and tricks?

Thankyou!

Last edited by a moderator:
what are you using to record with

daw?
mic?
interface?

for the most part it sounds too saturated (I stopped at 0:47 to write this)

there is also no bottom end in anything - you seem to have taken the idea of high-passing everything to extremes when you want to embrace the low end naturally present in some of what you have done - i.e a kick should have some bass present as should the bum-bums and tum-tums based on the ideas that each of those lines are producing

I would also separate the kick and snare lines into two separate tracks or even just rerecord each separately as they require different processing

happy to share an older cubase mix or a reaper mix with you if you send me the stems (pm me a dropbox link)

DAW: Cubase 5 (The lite version which came with the inrerface)
Interface: Audiogram 6
Mic: Rode NT2-A

I'm fairly new to music production, While I understand what EQ is about and how it works and all the theory. I have a really hard time putting it into effect, And knowing what frequencies to boost and what to cut. :/ How do I become good at eq-ing? Yeah, I'll keep the separation of snare and kick in mind next time. More versatility. Thankyou so much for your comments! And I'm really glad you offered to share your mixes! I dont have a dropbox account, Could I pm you my mail instead?

dropbox is free to use - make one and put the files there including your cubase project file and then send me the link via pm

As for Cubase 5 lite: not sure what it doesn't have compared to Cubase 5.5.3 which I have - I'll check what you have access to when I see your project file

If you need any fx I'll find good free-ware ones (if I don't already have them) to share back with you

learning to eq can be a hit and miss game;
- there are some useful things that you can always do and
- some things you should do within the context of your artistic vision and your musical intent

Hey guys!
Im new here and I hope I'm posting this in the right place. :| So I've been interested in A Capella music for quite some time, and I recently decided to produce one. The results left much to be desired. :/ I'll be posting a youtube link to what I did her, Could you give it a listen, And tell me how I can make it could more cleaner and polished? I created some really cool parts for this song but most of them are barely distinguishable..Could you tell me how to make each part complement each other? And any advice on producing this type of music in general? Tips and tricks?

Thankyou!

interestingly enough, I can actually help you alot with this. a cappella music production is actually my day job.

on a quick, cursory listen on laptop ( so can't fully comment ), it
a) sounds oversaturated....like either the input is overdriven or you're sending everything through some sort of overdrive

b) with this type of music, considering everything begins as the same type of source, it's alot to do with EQ to create the tones you're looking for, so the intiial goal before you even start mixing is to sort of high-pass everything to separate parts a bit as well as to kind of thin things out.
-- the goal, pre-mix, is to usually get something that sounds like the vocal equivalent of DI Guitar signal before sending it to any EFX

c) the reverb choice is also a strange one and clouds the track a bit.

anyway, you can feel free to PM me or anything or reply here and I can give more thoughts.

For reference, here is a soundcloud link to my reel of my favorite vocal music mixes.

https://soundcloud.com/smokeystouvr/sets/james-cannon-recent-a-cappella

Back