Can't quite get the vocals to fit!

eandebeats

So, my friend asked me if I could mix his upcoming mixtape for him because I quite a bit more experience than he does. Now by no means am I professional, but I can put together a decently solid mix that is definitely listenable and usually not muddy(at least not too muddy).

Every song up until this current one wasn't too bad and I was able to mix in around 2 days. They all came out good and a few I ended up going back and sprucing up a bit but altogether they came out fine. But this trick, for the life of me I can not get his vocals to sit right! At all!

I've tried everything I know how to do and watched countless hours of videos. I've EQ'd the vocals a hundred different ways, EQ'd the beat a thousand different ways, tried different eq plugins, tried various compressors, done ridiculous amounts of volume leveling, and much, much more.

I've tried all I can and they just won't fit. It always either sounds too bassy, too airy, too compressed, or it spikes in volume like crazy. The raw recording sounds terrible and the volume is all over the place and it sounds like he recorded it 3 inches away from the mic.

Any advice on how to fix this? I'd love to hear any and all comments! Also, I'll be linking to the semi-mixed version I have so you can hear the problem, by no means am I considering this finished! And a sample of a completed song so you can hear what I've done and be able to tell me if it's just me! Outside is the completed song and WTH is the unfinished problem!

Here's the link to the problamatic song:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Bl3de7WxN3c1R2QXRtbmljbGs/view?usp=sharing

And a sample of my past work:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Bl3de7WxN3eEM0ZXBwLUdZem8/view?usp=sharing

Attachments

• Figure 8 Outside.mp3
    7.4 MB · Views: 18
The raw recording sounds terrible and the volume is all over the place and it sounds like he recorded it 3 inches away from the mic.

There's the issue. the way mixing works is, the mix is only going to be as good as the recording itself :/ (it goes in this order: good recording -> good mix -> great master) I would suggest having the vocals re-recorded.

Back