Can't get my mixes straight.

kraften

Hi everyone!

I've been producing music in Logic Pro 9 for about 4 months now, mainly progressive house. I have about 4 songs that I'm really pleased with, but I can't get them mixed properly for the mastering stage. I have read and watched several tutorials about Mixing and Mastering but whenever I try myself, the result doesn't end up half the quality of todays "pro" tracks although I follow the instructions quite studiously.

Therefore, I would like to know your secret tips and tricks how to end up with the best possible mix including enhancing, volume levels, EQ and what not so that you prepare your track for the mastering stage in the best way.

Thanks in advance!

No one is going to give you their secret tips and tricks.... that'd be like walking into a 5 star restaurant and demanding the chef gives you the recipe to his world famous pasta..... it's just not gonna happen.

Just use Google and research all the tools of the trade... once you know what your tool does, why it does it, and how it does it then you'll start seeing results.

Because commercial tracks are mastered (also level pushed), and your mix isn't, you should turn down the reference tracks by 5 to 6 dB for any relevant comparison.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I've been producing music in Logic Pro 9 for about 4 months now, mainly progressive house. I have about 4 songs that I'm really pleased with, but I can't get them mixed properly for the mastering stage. I have read and watched several tutorials about Mixing and Mastering but whenever I try myself, the result doesn't end up half the quality of todays "pro" tracks although I follow the instructions quite studiously.

Therefore, I would like to know your secret tips and tricks how to end up with the best possible mix including enhancing, volume levels, EQ and what not so that you prepare your track for the mastering stage in the best way.

Thanks in advance!

Disregarding how room acoustics play a major factor in your mix, everything you listed is pretty much a matter of preference/taste and should be done to maximize the emotional impact and concept of the song. If you're not satisfied with the mix you need to identify why and seek to correct it. It could be a problem with arrangement or something not being properly recorded so before you look to changing things you need to look at everything as a whole.

Well having a good equalizer is very helpful. Me personally I make an equalizer for each sound, and I separate everything. Next is understanding what frequencies a sound exists in (lows, mids, highs) can play a big part in filling up space. Just remember to isolate everything, and have patience with it. If its supposed to be quiet, make it quiet, if its the climax, make it loud, fill the space. Have a sound that is usually muted be as loud as possible without clipping. Refer to that sound's overall velocity for a comparison of what your climax should be at. In general, you want ish to be as loud as possible without clipping. So find the loudest point in your song, set everything up to where it isn't clipping but everything you want comes through. and then make everything else gradually louder or softer. Just some basic tips, hope they helped =)

Last edited:
You should compress your instruments individually, and at the end of the project you should attach a limiter/maximiser for the main output to level the tracks but make sure it doesn't sound squashed by continuously altering the volume levels..

LIKE - https://www.facebook.com/dfunkdafiedbeats

Back