Can you give me some advice on mixing this track ?

Inspiritual

Hey guys, here's a track i've been working on for a moment now, can you give me some advice on how to make it sound better ? It would be really nice, as I intend to get a nice prod in the end and make a singer sing on it (i already composed the vocal line). I need help on the mix part, I hope you can help me to make the different tracks sound better, well highlighted into the mix.

Thank you for your advice ;)

View attachment EC_GENRE_80_s.mp3

Nice song

Kick sounds great with some more 50Hz in there, in fact it could work well for the drum bus, try both.

Lead GTR a little dull, Boosting around 2.3KHz sounded good but experiment.

The Toms sound a little too high in the sides. You could either turn them down, turn down the sides, use compression on the sides or try M/S EQ on the side to bring the low end down in them. at the moment they just don't really match the kick which is too quiet in comparison

Hey guys, here's a track i've been working on for a moment now, can you give me some advice on how to make it sound better ? It would be really nice, as I intend to get a nice prod in the end and make a singer sing on it (i already composed the vocal line). I need help on the mix part, I hope you can help me to make the different tracks sound better, well highlighted into the mix.

Thank you for your advice ;)

View attachment 46416

Not bad at all, I was emotionally attached by this, this is very well executed. I found the drums on the side too loud, also the hi-hat. In my opinion the actual sound quality is also not at say hit level, which has to do with a combination of the arrangement/sound source quality and the mixing. Inside the mix there are also some leveling decisions that are at the pro level. Overall this is nice work and you have some nice music you are making. Keep up the great work bro!

Last edited:
JRACE hit it on the head! I'd definitely try some 50hz on the kick, and try 50hz along with its first harmonic 100hz on the drum bus,...the low end needs a bit more weight.

Another idea would be to add some harmonic distortion to the kick itself. It could help to add some more character to the kick itself...The kick is what doesn't seem right, yet.

If boosting the actual eq on the guitar sounds a bit too much, try an exciter instead, in that same range that JRACE suggests...another thought would be to create a separate verb send for the guitar and use it to create an airy high eq hall...adjust the tail to taste. Definitely eq the verb send and roll off everything below 300hz and adjust the upper mids as well. Any, or all of these ideas can help add some top end brilliance to the guitar.

Those toms... JRACE said it right again. A mid/side EQ could get rid of the low energy on the side but allow you to keep the tom weight that bleeds towards the center.

Nonetheless, I really like the track and look forward to hearing your adjustments!

Nice tune I must say! Feeling that kinda vibe of 80s. I think the problem here is because its without vocals and seems like it must be there. Thats why we hear small bulge with toms and percussion overall.
So to fix that, you need to lower (or maybe even sidechain) drums section to your main lead sound. That way you can get louder and clearer mix.

Having a lead vocal isn't necessary, respectfully speaking. An instrumental can have balance without a lead vocal. I also don't see side chaining being proactive in this case...there aren't any fighting instruments, sounds, or patterns. The eq and volume are just slightly off with a few sounds... The kick is just a bit to thin and definitely could use a tad more weight in the 50hz-55hz range. Fixing the kick, that alone will completely change the balance of the song.

Last edited:
Agreed. Just in this case it feels like instrumental prepared for vocal, not as it is. There are different techniques, so I could make it with sidechain without changing any balance. Yet, you definitely can eq and make kick more fat. Or make some other fixes that will give you result.

Very true indeed... There are many techniques. Being open minded is imperative? Could you give me an example on how you would side chain in this instance? I'm not quite seeing which instruments would help each other in this instance to give better balance to the track.

When that pad comes in later in the track, I could see sidechain compression being beneficial on at least the high frequencies of the pad sound. It's very overpowering and could stand to have some slight dynamic play with the rhythm track, doesn't have to be pronounced.

I kinda like the track as it is except the dry sound of the drums. They need more attention in various ways.

Very true indeed... There are many techniques. Being open minded is imperative Could you give me an example on how you would side chain in this instance? I'm not quite seeing which instruments would help each other in this instance to give better balance to the track.
I could if I have stems :) I can use fab-filter SC for example, to chain special freq range, but thats not best example.

If shortly, I would sidechain kick for about 10%, so it could be even more soft. Then percussion (i.e. toms) for about 10-15%. It would make more groove and release more highs. Its not 100% right, because drum group should be mix better, just lowering some volume instead of SC.

This is quick example, of what I got for about 5 mins with my quick master.
View attachment EC GENRE 80s (quick master).mp3

@Xandie --Nice!! You achieved this change via side chaining? However you did this, it made a very very nice improvement... could you explain in detail how you got these results..?

What did you side chain the kick to? Did you also add eq side chaining? What did you side chain the toms to?

This is why I ALWAYS keep an open mind about how someone else does a process...nicely done.

Not much. You can check screenshot. Mostly default presets. I just added highs, added exciter and a bit saturation to make it more warm and fat. And eq-ed for less bass/mid. Added sidechain on whole track for about 3%. It all takes about 10 mins. But this is less I could help with.

screen1.jpg

Back