Can we skip mixing if we just buy good instrumental samples

If I understand you correctly....you get some high quality samples, arrange your song..and release...no eqing, compression etc.

Yes, you can do that. There is no law saying you need to mix your songs.

I've gotten samples that work so well in a song I hardly had to make any changes to it. Also, if you are just making a demo and you have no mixing experience then that's fine.

However, if you want to get a song that sounds cohesive and well balanced, chances are you WILL have to do SOME mixing. Even with high quality samples you will have frequency clashes between instruments and useless sonic information that should be removed ideally. There are a lot of intricate subtleties we take for granted in music. Engineers spend years tuning their ears and learning the tricks of the trade. Its an art that can get quite technical. Your favourite songs were not thrown together carelessly, but each sound was molded into something that complements its sonic neighbours.

If you are new to this and the whole idea of mixing seems difficult to learn, well its not - if you are having fun doing it.

Yeah, by sample i mean beatgeneral's kicks, snaps, hit hats etc

I do some fruity limiter, but that's it. Some reverb sometimes. But i'm noob that's sure.

Last edited:
Yeah, by sample i mean beatgeneral's kicks, snaps, hit hats etc

I do some fruity limiter, but that's it. Some reverb sometimes. But i'm noob that's sure.

Since you use FL Studio you are in one of the best environments to learn production and mixing in my opinion. Once you have a decent grasp of FL you can move to any program really. Most well known DAWs have some things in common.

You are also in the age of information. Google and Youtube have countless tutorials (this forum is no exception). Its also good to experiment. Don't be afraid to play with other plugins. If something sounds good to your ear that's all that matters. The technical side of things will come as you get comfortable with your DAW.

There aren't really any shortcuts to get around proper mixing. Learn it and apply it. Even if it is a basic understanding of what sounds you want to be loud or quiet (depending on the genre).

When you're listening to your song while creating it is the best time to start playing with volume levels. Basically "that clap is way too loud, let me turn it down", or "I can barely hear the synth over the drums, I'll turn it up a few DB". Then when your arrangement is done you can get really picky with the mix.

Rarely can you just load up a bunch of samples and have everything sit right, at the very least you'll need some slight tweaking +/- db's.

Last edited:
Back