CAN I: Microphone into Instrument Input OR Guitar DI to mic input?

CmRob

I own a typical 2 channel budget interface. The Avid Fast Track Solo.

2 inputs:
1 Mic input and 1 instrument input (Hi-Z for Electric guitar or bass).

So if I buy an external mic preamp, for example the Behringer Ultragain MIC100, will I be able to connect a 2nd mic into the instrument input via the said preamp?

AND ALSO if I buy a guitar DI box with XLR ouput can I plug it into the mic input of my interface? Giving me the option to record 2 electric guitars/bass simultaneously.

MAIN POINT:
I just want to plugin 2 mics (preferrably condenser) at the same time,
OR also possibly use 2 elec guitars at the same time without having to buy another interface with the given functions.

Has anyone actually tried this? I reached page 4 on google and no luck.
Will it sound bad? Am I better off just buying a new interface with 2 mic inputs/preamps and 2 instrument inputs?

I apologize for the many questions but I didn't want to make a 2nd post for all the inquiries.

Thanks to those who will reply.

I own a typical 2 channel budget interface. The Avid Fast Track Solo.

2 inputs:
1 Mic input and 1 instrument input (Hi-Z for Electric guitar or bass).

So if I buy an external mic preamp, for example the Behringer Ultragain MIC100, will I be able to connect a 2nd mic into the instrument input via the said preamp?

Forget the Behringer or Alto save some money and buy something with a decent reputation

as for using a preamp to drive an instrument output, only if the impedance matching is right mic preamp output impedance should 1/10 input impedance expected by the instrument input - I would not do this myself, as the instrument input is an unbalanced connection whereas the preamp ouptut will most likely be balanced (you will lose 6dB of gain if you try to go into the unbalanced input)

AND ALSO if I buy a guitar DI box with XLR ouput can I plug it into the mic input of my interface? Giving me the option to record 2 electric guitars/bass simultaneously.

that one will work no problem

MAIN POINT:
I just want to plugin 2 mics (preferrably condenser) at the same time,
OR also possibly use 2 elec guitars at the same time without having to buy another interface with the given functions.

Has anyone actually tried this? I reached page 4 on google and no luck.
Will it sound bad? Am I better off just buying a new interface with 2 mic inputs/preamps and 2 instrument inputs?

I apologize for the many questions but I didn't want to make a 2nd post for all the inquiries.

Thanks to those who will reply.

better option is always to look at increasing your input options but also look to buy something with a good reputation - say RME, but this of course adds dollars to the price, mostly because they are using better components as well as better designs

Thanks bandcoach for answering all my questions.

I guess upgrading my interface is the best thing I can do.

Cheers. :)

Back