Can A Group Of Bad Singers Sound Good?

mcpex

Hi, I am trying to have a hook to a song sound crowd-like, but it is out of my vocal range, and Im guessing it will also be out of the vocal range of friends who I'll recruit to record it with me. It is like a screaming/chant, with a pretty high note at the end. I'm wondering, if I combine all of the "bad singers" together, can I end up achieving a good sound when the vocals are all put together, high note and all? Also, how many people would I need to make this work, and would it be better to record them individually are together? Thanks a lot for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
depends on how bad they are.
Autotune can fix bad singing but it can get to sound robotic if the singers are really bad.
Why this question? There's only so many cases where doing something badly is ok imo :P Is not singing an option? :P
Ppl usually have a range that they can hit the correct notes in. With some ppl, that range is very very small. But sometimes, choosing the right song and right range to sing in can get you a long way. Like rappers :P Most can't sing but their rap sounds good :P

depends on how bad they are.
Autotune can fix bad singing but it can get to sound robotic if the singers are really bad.
Why this question? There's only so many cases where doing something badly is ok imo :P Is not singing an option? :P
Ppl usually have a range that they can hit the correct notes in. With some ppl, that range is very very small. But sometimes, choosing the right song and right range to sing in can get you a long way. Like rappers :P Most can't sing but their rap sounds good :P

Thanks for your response. The hook is more of a drunken gang vocal chant, but with a high note at the end. I was just imagining if a crowd of people were chanting then trying to hit that one high note together , then maybe it would all blend together cohesively. Kind of like people yelling the "Happy Birthday Song" at a party. Do you think if I got enough people to do it, it could work?

Well, I guess it'll work to an extent - the group will mask the flaws of the individuals a bit. But of course if anyone can't hit that note, then that's what it'll sound like :)

I think best would be to find out what tonal ranges every singer can hit and get them to focus on that, to get it to sound the best. If you miss a few tonal ranges, you could go look for someone that does have that tonal range. Tenor and soprano for instance.

Autotune won't really work for a group. I've tried it and don't waste your time, it's a nightmare. Your best bet would be to have them do a few takes and layer them. Set one or 2 of them to be slightly detuned and it'll sound like a full, drunken chorus. Good luck!

Why not just use audacity or your daw to shift the key of the song down to a range that is comfortable? I'm more with B Side when he says that doing something badly isn't really a good mindset to go into a recording session with lol

Last edited:
Avoid using auto tune if you are signing in a group. Lol that definitely won't sound too good. Also it depends how bad everyone really is... Maybe allow the better signings to outshine the not so good ones?

Back