Breakdown issue

Nikola

I am trying to make elctro house and progressive house songs and I am still newbie to producing but I have learned about EQing properly and compression technics. So when I try to make song I first start off by making the drop because that's what I like the most in these genres and I want to focus on it the most. Then when I finish the drop I go and do buildup, breakdown and intro. I don't have problem with the first part of the song, but when I have the first part done and then have to create second breakdown after first drop I can't do it. I don't have any idea what I could do. If I copy first breakdown that's not what I like and I always want to have second breakdown different than first one. I try to analyze breakdowns of artists that I like and when I listen I get an idea what I could do, but when I open up my DAW and try it, it's like I lose every idea I had before and can't do it. Any tips on how you write your breakdowns or anything that will help me get around this would be helpful, thanks. :)

This is a problem I've been faced with many times. It sounds like you caught a case of writers block :p. I've found that the best thing to do is to start the song out with the intro. Worrying about the drop last seems to work better since you're basically working it around the intro and breakdowns you've already created. Another method that I tend to use for breakdowns and buildups is copying them over and changing patterns as well as melodies afterwards. It'll sound similar to the similar buildup/breakdown, but still retain it's own qualities.

Back