Blue Microphones Yeti USB mic for rap vocals

QBoogie

Anyone want to share their thoughts on this or would an xlr to usb be better? Thanks in advance for your time & advice!

Ehh, usb mics are very weak for vocals. The frequency responce is all over the place, and its very difficult to get a usable mix with one.

Ehh, usb mics are very weak for vocals. The frequency responce is all over the place, and its very difficult to get a usable mix with one.

Is there any audiable proof of this because I use a samson usb mic and get decent vocals with it.

^^^No. It's an illogical statement. How can USB interfaces be common in professional setups, but a condenser mic with a built in Preamp and interface not make the cut?

It's like saying you prefer hamburgers with a slice of cheese on them over cheeseburgers.

The only disadvantage is most USB Mics are 16bit. But to put things in perspective, tons of professional digital outboard gear is 16bit as well. Most digital recordings before 2003 or so were done on 16bit multitrackers, and alot of that stuff still sounds better than current music. A 16bit USB Mic can still be recorded into and mixed in a 24bit enviroment and if you're willing to spend a little more, you can spring for a 24bit one as well.

Last edited:
To me, they are very weak compared to a nice mic/pre/converter chain. Its all opinion though, some might find one very pleasing to the ears, who knows...

I understand that a 300+ dollar mic would sound better than any usb mic but they have microphones that's in the same price range as most usb microphones such as the one I have. What's also true is your recording is as good as the weakest link in your chain, so would a 100 dollar condenser mic + preamp give you better quality than a 150 dollar usb mic? Speaking about the person that's on a tight budget that wants to have DECENT recordings. That's what I meant with my question. (Of course, after that its up to the producer to make the best out of the recording)

Last edited:
^^^No. It's an illogical statement. How can USB interfaces be common in professional setups, but a condenser mic with a built in Preamp and interface not make the cut?

It's like saying you prefer hamburgers with a slice of cheese on them over cheeseburgers.

The only disadvantage is most USB Mics are 16bit. But to put things in perspective, tons of professional digital outboard gear is 16bit as well. Most digital recordings before 2003 or so were done on 16bit multitrackers, and alot of that stuff still sounds better than current music. A 16bit USB Mic can still be recorded into and mixed in a 24bit enviroment and if you're willing to spend a little more, you can spring for a 24bit one as well.

you're totally right on this think.... about in the 60's the mic and the stuff they used.. alot of noise. but that stuff was cleaned up alot in the mastering stage..

now in our time we have alot of do it yourself producers who mix and master ....and after are like why don't my song sound as good as those in the music store..
it's called using professional mixing and mastering engineers... trusting them to get you commercial sound..

now if you are doing demo work.. you can use a producer/engineer to do everything for you ..but if you want to do it big time.. consumers have a standard of quality.. super loud (very sad) and clear....

now if you're a producer looking to do demo level work it takes a decent mic and mic preamp.. general knowledge of eq,compression, reverb,etc.. and alot of practice and you'll get a decent sound that you demo clients will appeciate... but always tell them to take this song to the commercial level ..let me stear you toward "so and so" professional mixing engineer that I have a working relationship with.. then in turn that pro mixing eng. will stear them towards a pro. mastering engineer that does good work...

but we are in the age of do it all yourself we have to be careful about this.. know your strengths and weakness and give up your project to someone you know that can do the work you need done for your situation....

I know I'll be coping alot of new highend equipment over the next four years... and plan on doing some serious demo work.. but over the next fours years I'm going to be treating mixing and semi-mastering like it's a college plan that I'll be making 1,00,000 when the four years is over.. but of course I won't be making that .. but it's just to inspire me.. to do it. to the fulless...
practice .. practice.. practice and make sure I full understand the tools available to audio engineers ...

now just to make things clear there are ppl who are great producers and mixing engineers...
I think mastering engineers are just in a special class..

Last edited:
OP, you mean an xlr to usb as in interface, or one of those little $50 converter things? Would post a link but Im on my cell

To me, they are very weak compared to a nice mic/pre/converter chain. Its all opinion though, some might find one very pleasing to the ears, who knows...

No offense, but this statement shows a lack of knowlege in itself. Beyond opinion, straight to the FACT the Samson and Audio Technica USBs are identical to running their XLR counterparts thru a cheap pre/converter like what's found on an M-Box, Low end Presonus, or M-Audio Preamp. These won't color your sound like a high end amp(plug ins afterwards can disguise it well), but they are very much the equivalent. So to say they're "weak " is to say the same for all low end gear.

To beleive that, you must be a "high end man" which means you should be well aware that you also have $400 to $1200 24bit USB mics with more expensive pres built in. Now if a $100 USB is factually equivalent to running a $250-500 chain in 16bit...What do you think a $1200 USB with customized parts is equivalent ot.

Again, all they've done is compacted the technology of an audio interface preamp with converters and fantom power right into the exact build of the XLR condenser mic counterpart. Even easier with Dynamics. Just technology, don't be scared and reject it, lol.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_Inc__CE1801_MicPort_Pro_USB_Microphone.html

They just build these into the mics now.

Last edited:
Yeah I see what you mean, and Im very much a high end guy lol, got over a couple grand in just my chain. Im not very knowledgable on usb mics apart from songs recorded on them that ive mixed for people, but its because I never felt like bothering with the cheap ass things. Also, imo beginners that buy these are going to stay wondering why they dont have "lil wayne vocals", and are just want to upgrade eventually anyways. Im just a firm believer in setting out for a goal and getting the right equipment from the start if one is truly serious.

Yeah I see what you mean, and Im very much a high end guy lol, got over a couple grand in just my chain. Im not very knowledgable on usb mics apart from songs recorded on them that ive mixed for people, but its because I never felt like bothering with the cheap ass things. Also, imo beginners that buy these are going to stay wondering why they dont have "lil wayne vocals", and are just want to upgrade eventually anyways. Im just a firm believer in setting out for a goal and getting the right equipment from the start if one is truly serious.

Sometimes when people cant afford they gotta work with what they got. Things is real hard this side but I've been upgrading with money I earned producing local artists. They actually pay to get their tracks produced over here in tampa. I got my eyes on a bock audio 195 and i wanna find a good sounding preamp for it. I use my samson usb mic to lay down practice version of tracks in my bedroom so I can get a feel for the track over a few days then I record it official with a better setup.

To the OP. If you can produce your ass off you can get good sounding vocals from your mic but only expect them to be good. Sorry for the hijack.

^^^In all fairness, USB mic in the $100 price range usually equates to a guy without proper treatment, placement, acoustics, ect. and no clue of how to get good audio inputs.

That inexperience is probably reflecting even more than the mic on the sound of their recordings.

I'm sure a guy isn't dropping $1200 on the newer stuff they're developing to throw it in a closet with a blanket up for noise cancelation and call it a booth. lol.

Sometimes when people cant afford they gotta work with what they got. Things is real hard this side but I've been upgrading with money I earned producing local artists. They actually pay to get their tracks produced over here in tampa. I got my eyes on a bock audio 195 and i wanna find a good sounding preamp for it. I use my samson usb mic to lay down practice version of tracks in my bedroom so I can get a feel for the track over a few days then I record it official with a better setup.

To the OP. If you can produce your ass off you can get good sounding vocals from your mic but only expect them to be good. Sorry for the hijack.

I plan on coping the Bock 195 and running it with a Mic Preamp
Vintech model 273
2-channel Class A, Transformer Balanced Mic Pre With EQ Based on Neve 1073 $1,700.00
that's $2,700
and the best way to get equipment fast is to have good credit and run the 3 or 5 payment plans through www.sweetwater.com or americanmusician
and have a "real job" lol.. so you have steady cashflow coming in....

I think it helps to look at the long term.. once you get knowledge of how to work equipment and tools such as eq,compression,reverb,etc..

this my long term studio plan

here the budget
LISTED IN YEAR ORDER AS WELL PURCHASE ORDER

Year One
1. Monitors
JBL LSR4326P Pak
Bi-amplified Studio Monitor System with 6" Woofer, 1" Tweeter, and DSP Room Mode Calibration (pair)
$1,000
2.Computer 1
built from parts brought at newegg $1,200

3. Dual 24" (1920x1080 res.)Com Monitors $400

4. Komplete $500.00

5. Cubase Computer keyboard $100.00

6. Universal Audio UAD-2 Duo Flexi
PCIe DSP Card with 2 SHARC Chips, 7 Mix Essentials II Plug-ins $1,000
TOTAL 4,000

YEAR TWO
1. Mic
Bock Audio 195 Large-Diaphragm Cardioid FET Microphone
$1,000

2. Mic Preamp
Vintech model 273
2-channel Class A, Transformer Balanced Mic Pre With EQ Based on Neve 1073 $1,700.00

3. Apogee Rosetta 200
2-channel 192kHz 24-bit AD/DA Converter $1,800.00
TOTAL $4,500.00

YEAR THREE
1. Headphones (1)
Audio-Technica ATH-M20
Closed-back, Circumaural Professional Headphones $50X2 = $100.00

2.Behringer Powerplay Pro XL HA4700 Headphone Amplifier - with 4 Nady Headphones $150.00 x(2)=$300 (HAD THESE AMP BEFORE GREAT FOR ARTIST MIXES)

3. Power Conditioner(2) Furman M-8x2
8-outlet Rackmountable Power Conditioner with Wall Wart Spacing on Rear Outlets - 15 Amps $120.00

4.Desk On-Stage Stands WS7500
3-shelf Studio Desk, Rosewood/Black Steel
with
two
On-Stage Stands WSC7500
Corner Desk Extension for WS7500 Workstation - Rosewood with Black Steel
with
Raxxess RB-22B
Upper-Shelf for Configuraxx Side Wings (modelfied to fit the on-stage desk)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RB22B/
and
Raxxess SFRK-4B
4-space Rack for Config-U-Raxx - Ebony
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SFRK4B/
(also modelfied to fit the on-stage desk) $500.00

5. Audio Interface
Steinberg MR816 CSX $1,000

6. JBL SUB $1,000

7. Auralex Atom-12
Acoustic Foam for Corners with 4 x 12" Cornerfill Cubes and 12 LENRD Bass Traps — Charcoal
$500.00x(2)=$1,000.00
TOTAL $4,000

YEAR FOUR(home purchase year)
1. Acoustic Treatment $500.00 worth
DIY acoustic panels/reflection panels and diffision brought through auralex

2. Antares Auto-Tune Vocal Studio Native w/AVOX Evo $500.00

3.Control Surface Mackie Control Universal Pro/2 Mackie Control Extender Pro $2,800

4. Digidesign Mbox 2 Micro
USB Audio Interface with Pro Tools LE Software - 24-bit/48kHz USB Playback Interface $250
(to drop Cubase Session OMF files in and make them Pro Tools files to be sent off to mix and Mastering Engineers)
TOTAL 4,250

YEAR FIVE
1.Roland V-Drums V-Stage TD-12KX-S $3,800

2. VST Drum Plug-in comp. with the V-Drums $200
TOTAL 4,000

Year Six
1. Compressor
Rupert Neve Designs Portico 5043
2-channel Compressor/Limiter with Independent and Linked Operation Modes $2,000.00

2. Mic Preamp
Vintech model 273

END OF WITH FOUR CHANNELS OF CLASSIC NEVE SOUND

GRAND TOTAL $25,000
I think I can bring the price down $1000 to $5000 by purchasing b-stock and ebay items on comp.monitors and things like that...
but I'll cross that road when it comes

Damn fatal....I hope you copy and paste that plan every time you post it and not type the whole thing out....That's A LOT of stuff!!!

about in the 60's the mic and the stuff they used.. alot of noise. but that stuff was cleaned up alot in the mastering stage..

Actually, the "noise" in recordings from the 1960's is inherent in the analogue tape they used and it was not something that was really ever "cleaned up"... and back in those days, "mastering" had a LOT less to do with the "sound" than it does today.

Yo...basically stay away from Samson...I had one and it worked well enough to get great sounding vocals after the mixing stage...but the quality isnt built to last...after a while mine just degraded in sound quality, idk what exactly might have went wrong or if it was just my unit...but yeah...stay away from samson because it might die on you when you really need it...i would suggest SE electronics, MXL, or BLUE...those 3 seem to be the best as far as durability and you can probably do minimal mixing to compensate for any types of sound quality or signal loss...I had my joint sounding incredible before it died...atleast incredible to me lol...idk bout how it would sound to anyone on here

Yo...basically stay away from Samson...I had one and it worked well enough to get great sounding vocals after the mixing stage...but the quality isnt built to last...after a while mine just degraded in sound quality, idk what exactly might have went wrong or if it was just my unit...but yeah...stay away from samson because it might die on you when you really need it...i would suggest SE electronics, MXL, or BLUE...those 3 seem to be the best as far as durability and you can probably do minimal mixing to compensate for any types of sound quality or signal loss...I had my joint sounding incredible before it died...atleast incredible to me lol...idk bout how it would sound to anyone on here

got any old recordings from it? post yours and ill post mine and we'll see if they sound the same.

yeah I copy and paste.. and I don't try to spam anything.. I just think showing a plan to some of the posters that are asking about what mic/mic preamp.. or what should I buy next to think long term

I'll upload something tomorrow...I gotta go digging around for my old external drive in my attic...that has all my older joints on it

if thats all you can afford then go for it and make it work.

but if $100 is your budget as a struggling vocalist, then i guess you might not have a treated room, in which case an sm58 into a junk mixer might give you cleaner takes, instead of a condenser that will record every damn thing in your room, and outside, and if your gain is too hot, your neighbors cat getting humped,.... it is spring after all.

is it just me or does it look like a microscope?

Back