Bit-Crushing drums in Pro Tools?

StanleySteamer

Hey guys, I was curious as to how many of you guys bit-crush your drums in Pro-Tools and how you do it? I have started doing it recently but I can't decide whether I like it or if it adds too much punch to my drums making them too dominate vs my sample. I am sample based hip-hop so I am kind of going for more a vintage style since i always use vinyl crackle in my beats so I am trying to incorporate bit-crushing into my mixes yet I never hear too much bit crushing in mixes from my other favorite sample based producers like harry fraud or alchemist or madlb or anybody. If someone could clarify bit-crushing for me and whether or not I should be using it for my style I am going for and how to use it it would be greatly appreciated thanks a lot guys!

Plain and simple : don't use it if you don't feel you need it; for example, don't use it on every drum.
Or, if you think your drums need someting more but you're not satisfied with Bit Crush, just try someting else, maybe d-fi would add to the feel you're after

Back