Big Major label sound

You can certainly use the maximizer to raise the "average" levels- that's essentially what the waves L1 I mentioned does (I demoed both the L1 and Maximaizer- chose the L1- your results may vary). Why not demo either one and find out what it can do. Or demo the T-Raxx if you want a standalone app- and it IS available for PC.

Download! Download! Demo the stuff- try it yourself and see what you are getting into. There isn't much of a return policy on software anyway! Don't just trust a bunch of strangers at this forum!

My only concern is if it is a pro project, you will likely regret your own results if you are currently new to "mastering." I would argue that you can get up to 98 or 99% of the quality a mastering house gets using Wavelab and plugins... I've done all my own mastering using Wavelab and Waves plugins and have never had a complaint. I'm not saying a mastering pro could not have done better, but in my line of music (electronic) there is no budget for this type of mastering, and I have been expected to produce "broadcast-ready" masters (myself or at my own cost)- so it can be done- and the technology IS there.

You said you used compression but it didnt make it louder...did you bother to look into how to use compresion? you can't just run it through and expect it to work... what compresion plug did you use? do a search on difrent audio forums to learn how to use one or at least get the general idea.

www.audioforums.com is a good source to start

Taos

www.djtaos.cjb.net

volume levels

guys,
i have been following this discussion for a while now and a couple of you seem to be missing the point of what i was saying. i dont want to try to tell anyone anything, after all everyone is entitled to their own opinions and experiences.
i own a record label and produce techno and thought i would share my experiences with you. the mastering process is basically a polishing act on the track. it is there to control max volume, fine tune eq etc and no more. you cant really achieve wonders with it. as for compression, it is not the be all and end all either. it is their really to prevent huge spikes in the sound which will cause probs when recording, especially onto vinyl. obviously it is used a lot on drums by some producers too ,just to get a distinctive sound and tame then slightly. i personnally dont use it too much, the point of using analogue drum machines is that every hit is not the same. it seem silly to compress the hell out of it and make then all uniform.
the difference betwen home audio levels and pro however makes a huge difference to the quality and sound of a track. there is way more to it than just turning up the volume loads but essentially that is what it is doing. if you just crank up the volume then you put in equipment hiss and also change the characteristics of the track. different sounds respond differently to being cranked up in an amp.
this difference in levels is why when you put on a record or cd you have to turn down your amp if it has been at a level that made your track sound the same loudness. if anyone has a mixer with level lights, play your track through a channel and see what it lights up, then play a record or store cd and see the difference.
as for the comments that everyone is restricted to 16bits , i think you maybe were misunderstanding what i was trying to explain. sorry. it has nothing to do with system specs, simply audio level.
everyone i know who produces, uses mainly hardware. cubase is obviously widely used as a sequencer but drives a load of hardware, not soft synths etc. maybe this level question is treated slightly differently when only using computer packages.

mastering info

just thought i might add,
everyone i know, myself included has what you would class as broadcast standard tracks from our own set ups at home or wherever. these sound really no different to what you hear on a cd you will buy. and often are not (from my own experience) when we put them away to a mastering house to get the plates made up for pressing, the staff are basically double checking the level at +4dbu and adding light level compression to ensure that incae there are peaks, that they dont go over the max for the vinyl. this is to ensure that the needle will not jump out of the groove when played. there is obvioulsy a lot more to this and it is a skill in itself but that is the essence of what they do. some of you seem to not quite understand exactly what each stage of the process does.
hope this clear up a little.

You got me goin in circles...

When i posted this reply, the reason it was posted was because i dint understand why my sound was not coming out the same as the major labels. I have tried those suggestions like compressing with the cubase plugins. and itz really not working for me... Question: Does anyone in her master for a major label? Has anyone ever mastered for a major label before? If so, please, please, help..We keep goin in circles!!! I can't tell a difference and you're absolutely right about how the software plugin compressor makes your drumz StinkI also tried the loudness maximizer and it jess seems to make my wave look like this big azz blob.!! It comes out really distorted and breaky..after i increase it at the same level of a major label's sound..Compression i don't think either is the only key.. If I only knew what machine or its gotta be sumptin dey use to make it really expand..Now the compression on vocals is not too bad however... One i will try however is this finalizer someone posted about.. Or maybe again i'm back to square one...Take my azz on to Audio engineering school and really learn how the big dawgs Blast dat ****!!! thankx peace out :cry:

Geez Bax10... So tempermental... ;) First of all, audio editing software tools really do work, but you have to have really good ones, and they take time to learn. Most Steinberg products such as the ME Compressor and the Loudness Maximizer are excellent in my opinion. The Ultrafunk plugins by Sonitus have also proved invauable to me and I would highly recommend them. The trick is to keep practicing remastering because it's a skill that doesn't come easily and requires dogged persistence. You'll also need a pretty fast computer to get the best results. So if you've not been satisfied with the results you've been getting, the afore mentioned is worth considering.

As you already know, I've been using Reason to create my tracks, but recently I've taken several of them, and I've remastered them in Wavelab. I recorded each track as a before and after combo onto minidisc, and I must tell you that I can definitely tell a difference. For the first time I could hear the difference between a smooth and or punchy type of sound. I was also able to level out my vocals on certain tracks and open up the sound on others. This took some doing because some songs sounded worse after remastering. I had to keep trying until I got it.

While software programs can greatly enhance your track if used correctly, the only way to get that " Major Label sound, " is to have a major label process it for you. In the meantime, it's best to learn as much as you can on your own.

Reading up on the subject is so helpful and anyone who's serious about their music should do so on a regular basis. If you aren't willing to learn, then don't complain about the cd burn... :D

Last edited:
Question?

How do you get the major label sound? Question, How do you get the major label sound? Question: How do you get the major label sound? Question: Step by Step.. Example...Step 1,, take your wave in blah blah blah...Step 2.. Take your wave in blah blah blah..Step 3...Blah blah blah...End Result, I just created a mastered track for Universal Studios...Guyz, I know everyone has a great sound.. but what i'm looking for is kinda like a Martha Stewart step by step process.. Digitus, I was not being tempermental, itz jess everyone bounces the question...The question is not what i might try, or what Might work, I'm looking for What Is...Point blank.. Thatz a lot of as you know how I say it DOWN TIME....Like If i say okay, my azz is hungry.. How do i get to Kentucky Fried Chicken...Give me a map, don't tell me well, you might wanna take this way or you might wanna take this route.. If my azz could read, I wouldn't have asked someone else to tell me if I could get dere quicker...My azz would have died of hunger by the time i got dere... Know what ah mean? Thankx people but sorry this is frustrating!!!:cry:

hmmm,

Your confused if you think there is a magic formula because there isn't. Everysong needs diffrent treatments. The secrete to the sound you want is patiencs and time and listening, good mixing, good eq-ing, good recordings of your matirial and so on and so fourth. Think about it, if there was a magic 15 step process to get wonderfull sounding mixes then there would be no need for Large studios or mixing enginears. I'm so sorry that you will have to spend time learning how to do this, if its that difficult for you to fiddle around and learn how to use compresion and eq and reverb and how to record then hire someone to do it. Take your CDs of your stuff and send it to a Mastering enginear and let them do it.

Do a web search to find tutorials and writings on how to use EQ and Compression. I could sit here and write a huge 17 page paper for you but I have a life and music to creat.

Taos
www.djtaos.cjb.net

aHahahahaha You ARE CORRECT!!

LMAO@Dj.. You know what,, I tink you're absolutely right... !!!! I checked out your track on mp3 and it actually sounds a bit mastered.....I will actually take your advice and try to look at some information from some professionals ..I thought i could take a shorter route and get someone to tell me on this forum but.......I GUESS NOT.......Thankx and peace out...:hello:

You won't be able to learn mastering this weekend- and you won't be happy with your first results. If it were that easy, a mastering engineer wouldn't be charging over $100/hr- so lighten up a bit and have some patience.

The loudness maximizer can totally crush the mix if you don't use it right. Again I prefer the L1- but that is academic. First of all, does your mix sound OK to begin with? Is it too bassy or are the snares all whack? If so, fix it before mastering.... blah, blah, blah...

Have you tried running your stereo mixdown through an EQ to temper the lows, a multiband compressor set at conservative settings, and then through a limiter? The maximizer alone will probably not be enough unless your mix is nearly perfect.

If you take some steps BEFORE running to the maximizer, it will be more effective for you- you should probably shoot for only 4-7dB of peak limiting (depending on how compressed your material was in the first place, and depending on what its peak is). If that's NOT loud enough, your mix is bad to begin with.

Also, run a reference mix with a level you want to achieve and analyze its RMS- which is the AVERAGE (essentially speaking) level and compare that to your output of your song after "maximizing"- that's really the truest test if you don't trust your ears.... many people go crazy with the maximizer and actually make tracks that are louder than commercial CDs that sound like crap, but they don't know it because the harmonic content is so messed up (like tons of bass, or whatever).

Labels don't master, studios do- BTW.... and yes, I have material on two labels- not "major" labels, but not a vanity label either.... finally, take some ritalin or "sumfin"- chill out a bit.

If you want someone to hold your hand, let us know what you have to work (software) with and post your track(s) so we can see what needs to be done. This is like giving a blind man driving a car directions over a cell phone.....

Re: Question?

bax10 said:
but what i'm looking for is kinda like a Martha Stewart step by step process.. Digitus, I was not being tempermental, itz jess everyone bounces the question...The question is not what i might try, or what Might work, I'm looking for What Is...Point blank.. Thatz a lot of as you know how I say it DOWN TIME....Like If i say okay, my azz is hungry.. How do i get to Kentucky Fried Chicken...Give me a map, don't tell me well, you might wanna take this way or you might wanna take this route.. If my azz could read, I wouldn't have asked someone else to tell me if I could get dere quicker...My azz would have died of hunger by the time i got dere... Know what ah mean? Thankx people but sorry this is frustrating!!!:cry:

Ahhh... You see, as others have pointed out, there is no quick fix formula. You have to take the time to read and learn. When you said " If my azz could read," are you saying you can't read, or do you consider reading a bothersome chore not worthy of your time? If you think your not getting help here because nobody is telling you specifics, just wait until you read articles and or receive the advice of professionals. They will be even more detached and will more than likely tell you the same thing.

Last edited:
Thankz You Guyzz...

You know you guyz are absolutely right! ..Itz definitely taking some time and after I read the post from Digitus and DJ Taos, I was able to discover something that made me feel a whole lot better.. , .... .. ..(Trial and Error)I kinda played around with some mastering effects in my Triton and it actually sounds a lot "bigger"...I don't know how it will sound once burned to my CD however but the exact same thing you were talkin about Filtersweep like the limiter, and stereo compressor is in the Triton and it did indeed seem to give a richer sound than the software I'm using..I am doing some research rat now on that Finaliser program az well.. but I guess its gonna be a combination of things and the most important thing I need is my ear..And you are right Digitus, I need to be a lil more patient, (The Impatient Sailor)Thanks you guyz...:o

filtersweep said:
I don't know about using the limiter in the Triton. You have a whole mix to process, not just the Triton's sounds...

The important thing is that Bax10 is willing to experiment via trial and error. Ultimately, I believe this is the way all musicans/audio engineers learn. As far as Filtersweep's advice goes, who's to say the entire mix isn't created within the Triton?

Last edited:
Well, I guess I'm assuming that he created a mix of individual tracks in Cubase, which he stated he has. If he set up a multi and has recorded the entire output of the Triton as a stereo file, there will likely be substantial problems with the mix. The *best* way to record a synth mix is to record the individual tracks into the DAW- usually dry/mono, and tweak away from there using EQ and compressors and the efx buses of the DAW- that way there is more control over the mix, and if something needs editing, it can more easily be done.

I was talking about running the mix through some sort of limiter. While the Triton undoubtedly has awesome efx for a synth, I don't think I'd be pumping the mix through the Triton Limiter (if it has one) when there are better options available.

I agree with the trial and error issue- there is no recipe for mastering... and one issue with the mix will lead to one solution, another issue will require a different solution.

YES! trial and error is the best way to intimitly know how to use these tools. You will get it eventually. I have attempted to master a song 5 or 6 times before getting it right, and that includes burning 20 or so CDs to give to my friends and to listen to where ever I go. I expect the harshis critisizm from my friends about the overall final mix but they are only sometimes comfterble enough to tell me if somethings off. Sometimes I have to put a track in and start complaining about the mixing and see what my friends bring up that is also in the track, without telling them its mine.

As far as the stuff on my MP3.com page is yess it is slightly masterd but I like getting it only to a point because the record companies I have worked with send the stuff off the be masterd for vynale anyways and I don't want to make the Enginears job hard or imposible because I messed with the eq too much and took out all the dynamics with a compressor. However when I send out a Demo to a record company I do my best to fully master it myself as I want them to hear the songs in the best light possible. I figure I can let them know that they need to get the ummastered version from me.

FIltersweep- is there anywhere we can check out your trax?

hmmm ok I might be rambelling at this point. Had a big night, ate some pills and (I rearly do that) danced alot.

DJ Taos
www.djtaos.cjb.net

Back