is it better to (running sounds through analouge equ. question)

B

B_No_1

Hi People!!!

is it better to run your samples through analouge equipment, then edit/chop/EQ/compress/normalise etc... them, then send them to the multitracker

or is it better to edit /chop/EQ/compress/normalise first then run through the analouge equipment second???

does it make a difference to the end product?

B_No_1 said:
Hi People!!!

is it better to run your samples through analouge equipment, then edit/chop/EQ/compress/normalise etc... them, then send them to the multitracker

or is it better to edit /chop/EQ/compress/normalise first then run through the analouge equipment second???

does it make a difference to the end product?

it might make a difference.

What "analogue equipment" do you want to run your samples through and why?

i often run vinyl samples thru an analog filter with a built in buzz/trim circuit (electrix filter factory)... they go from my turntable to my preamp to my filter (though not always to the filter, and the buzz is sometimes bypassed), then to my eps-16+ where i chop/etc. eq/compression i usually do in protools but i dont always compress my samples on their own, if anything they might get hit by some mix compression.

"What "analogue equipment" do you want to run your samples through and why?"

any analogue equipment just to warm up my samples really

B_No_1 said:

any analogue equipment just to warm up my samples really

I was just wondering for a couple of reasons...

first: just running through any "analogue equipment" will not necessarily "warm up your samples". If you run your sounds through some crappy (or mediocre) analogue thing thinking it will make your samples "warmer"... well, it will probably just make your samples sound worse... not "warmer"

So part of my answer there is that it is not necessarily "better" to run your samples through "analogue equipment."

second: if you are using samples... the person who recorded those samples in the first place very likely recorded them through analogue gear in the first place (or they were sampled from records/CD's)... they have already been run through the analogue gear stage--- and no doubt the analogue gear they were running through is way better than anything you have handy.

generally, when people talk about running through some analogue or tube device to "warm up" their sound, they are talking about it in relation to a digital synth that they want to run through an analogue stage to impart more of the qualities of an analogue synth.

What is it that you are truly hoping to acheive? If you can explain the types of samples you are using that you want to do this to and what you hope the "warming" will do for your sound, maybe someone can recommend something useful to you.

That's some serious overkill.

Filter, then chop, then edit, then EQ, then compress, then normalise?

Talk about degrading a signal....

although what i mentioned (an analog filter, a subtle analog distortion unit) can give your sounds a new flavor, might i suggest an alternative...

start in analog. this means, sample from vinyl, or tape, or from a live instrument. if its a live instrument, you can even process it with analog equipment and record it to tape, then sample it. for the analog warmth, it doesnt get any realer than that.

Back