Best Way to Compress Vocals

keezodavis

keezoPdavis
Start off by having your attack and release settings set to fast, and your ratio at infinite (or as high as you can put it)

Start bringing the threshold down til you hear a "pumping effect" then bring it up a lil til u find that "sweet spot"

Then move on to att and rel settings, adj to taste. (I typically use em fast)

Last bring the ratio down to about 3:1 to 4:1 (you can experiment with higher ratios depending how dynamic the take is)

:berzerk: Give it a try!!

Start off by having your attack and release settings set to fast, and your ratio at infinite (or as high as you can put it)

Start bringing the threshold down til you hear a "pumping effect" then bring it up a lil til u find that "sweet spot"

Last bring the ratio down to about 3:1 to 4:1 (you can experiment with higher ratios depending how dynamic the take is)

Thanks for sharing, always interesting to read other engineer's ideas on this.

The vocals, kick, snare and bass I find are all sound sources that you want expressive yet fairly smooth in level, at a certain point when they get too expressive they should be tamed. There are a few things I think are necessary to help make this work and overall I think it is the combination of side-chain and two stage compression that is most important and that you combine that with hardware compressors with good non-linear attenuation characteristics, compressor selection is key. The rest is work with volume faders and EQs with hardware, a little louder monitoring volume in the verses. But it all starts with the sound, make that work by itself as far as possible, especially in the first chorus. Listen to what happens with the dynamics between verse and chorus and ensure that when the chorus starts you get additional "funk" from the dynamics, the mix should not collapse. Overall I think it is good to increase the individual input channel volume faders into the chorus and ensure you have the compressors setup mildly enough for the signal to not be eaten up by the compression. When more sound sources are added in the chorus, the perceived dynamic range should increase, not decrease.

Last edited:
i definitely agree! and i had meant to name this post simplest way to... not best way to... lol . but yea i agree with you. theres so much to compression its insane! thanks for the reply!

Hello!

Yes, that does seem to be a great way to dial in compression! When I mean to go for intuitive dynamic squeeze/transparent compression your mentioned steps are often how I end up committing to sounds in the moment

Just a fun additional thought your post led me to think about again, perhaps you will have some thoughts as well?--- sometimes I'll vary the order in which I adjust the sections on the unit. A quick example: setting ratio first (and leave set), exaggerate threshold for setting attack, balance threshold, pick final release timing. To dive headfirst down a rabbit hole: I find sometimes changing the order of setting knobs can be a great way to work in some mojo if you want stereo spread to feel more alive or "non-linear". *Apologies for the buzz words lol, but I will try to illustrate:

A way to do this could be= Compress one side of a designated stereo pair with a compressor using one setting-adjustment order, then dial in the other side using a different order of dialing in settings. If you're able to achieve fairly similar levels of transparent gain reduction despite the variations in attack time, release rhythm, strength of squeeze (ratio) you should ultimately achieve a bloody subtle stereo phase/dynamic variation between the two sides!

It sounds like a no-no for technical reasons, BUT, achieving transparent dynamic control despite differences in labeled settings seems to bring subtle attention to the normally unnoticed, inherent qualities of the stereo channels. Here this audio-process translates to an pre-conscious presence of movement, and in the summed down perceptual experience of unfamiliarized-listeners: they likely perceive this movement as a stereo movement within the song which is perceived as definitively-wide, or uniquely exciting, etc....
like all the analog propaganda out there tries to covertly sell, there is definitely truth to the human brain getting a kick out of perceptual variation within highly preferred, perceptually expected parameters. That last idea is like watching a favorite movie-- a story with expected plot, characters, etc, but down our current rabbit hole, by some deliberate yet bizarre design you happen to see niffty little subtleties you didnt quite experience before when you've watched this favorite story unfold. I'd honestly argue most human preference develops this way----think "swings in artistic fad" throughout history. for example: was it just chaos when the spread of glam rock/metal in all its sparkly shiny glory preceded grunge in its danky raw decadence? lol, fun times.Over time and after diving into clearly preferred artistic and emotional experience We yearn for the unexplored, novel depths of unfamiliarity me thinks!

Rambles aside!! lol, I've specifically been considering this in the audio engineering realm given most veteran analog guru's I've attempted to learn from claim the aesthetic intrigue with, and gravitational pull towards, analog and vintage gear/engineering relates to the subtle variations between hardware units and their tasty products in the mix/master---I think this is perhaps true!

Alas! I've not mentioned vocals! rofl, sweet spots are where its at for vocals my friend I absolutely agree! I really think its invaluable to learn what the dynamic sweet spot sounds like, especially for vocals o course. I like what DarkRed mentioned about the importance of intentional variation throughout the song aiding the journey of the listener, I will try to respond soon if I have the time right now!

-MadHat

i definitely agree! and i had meant to name this post simplest way to... not best way to... lol . but yea i agree with you. theres so much to compression its insane! thanks for the reply!

Cool. I do agree with what CLA once said that it's not the amount of compression that is what matters, but the quality of it. This is key to understand.

Overall, I do think that engineers should put maximum focus on the microphone(s) and microphone(s) position(s) so that you can control the signal more naturally before that signal hits whatever additional gear for controlling the signal level. That combination of doing it like that and combining that with great hardware compressors is key to a natural good sounding signal.

Still essential to be aware of how to work with the dynamics in particular productions, but a great signal into compressors helps a lot.

Last edited:
yes avoid cheap compressors! u can tell the difference! really put money up for one, software or hardware.

Thanks for sharing, always interesting to read other engineer's ideas on this.

The vocals, kick, snare and bass I find are all sound sources that you want expressive yet fairly smooth in level, at a certain point when they get too expressive they should be tamed. There are a few things I think are necessary to help make this work and overall I think it is the combination of side-chain and two stage compression that is most important and that you combine that with hardware compressors with good non-linear attenuation characteristics, compressor selection is key. The rest is work with volume faders and EQs with hardware, a little louder monitoring volume in the verses. But it all starts with the sound, make that work by itself as far as possible, especially in the first chorus. Listen to what happens with the dynamics between verse and chorus and ensure that when the chorus starts you get additional "funk" from the dynamics, the mix should not collapse. Overall I think it is good to increase the individual input channel volume faders into the chorus and ensure you have the compressors setup mildly enough for the signal to not be eaten up by the compression. When more sound sources are added in the chorus, the perceived dynamic range should increase, not decrease.

If I can I would like to bump these ideas specifically! I absolutely agree with your thought here DarkRed. I think to get the smooth/consistent levels for those core instruments its always a bloody- juggling act (often automating settings or faders) to maintain audibility of these and yet retain the compelling expression needed to carry the song through its storyline. Like you've included with your ideas for verse/chorus work, I could not agree any more. such attention to macro emotional expressions as they relate to impact of the song for audience is EXACTLY what helps people Truly feel something through a song. I'm a firm believing in relative-catharsis via music (well through any art for that matter...lol) and tapping into these channels requires attention to what elements accurately supply the core-quality with which One hopes to connect to. I think in this context (compression) we are most considering the tension or release of emotion (the dynamic squeeze or loose expression of vocal melody)---perhaps this is a similar thought to yours above. Beyond this, I suppose these micro/macro details of human experience and emotional content would be most related to the artist's/audience's given genre/culture etc...and whew, thats a big-ol can of worms there lol.

Just some other thoughts: Like you've mentioned the sequentially-chained compression is (imho) perhaps the most precise way to build perceived sense of control/power without potential compromise of dynamics (or phase etc, with parallels). MOST truthfully I find myself using parallel sends for this bc the work flow is a bit more speedy/intuitive given my shameless fascination with complex routing and systems approaches. Some day I may perhaps adopt a condensed, tactful-minimalist system for these approaches. Ahh..., One does well to have aspirations! lol

I hope all is well!

-MadHat

Back