Best Vocal Mixing Plug-in?

A plugin called "Wave Rider" did it first... And, yes, that was a breakthrough plugin...

But manual automation letting your ears decide where to adjust the automated level still works much better.

Some of the comments on this thread = wow. No, better yet, a LOT of comments on this thread = wow.

Edit: OP, just checked out Nectar. I didn't know it existed but that thing looks extremely capable. That's a ton of plugins wrapped up in one. If that can't do what you want, what you want might just not exist yet.

You should go back to basics and learn how to use your stock plugins before taking the step to 3rd party plugins. You should be able to get a decent vocals sound with a GOOD recording, recorded with a half decent mic in a GOOD room, preferably a vocal booth.

EQ, compression and maybe a touch of de-essing should be enough to get a basic vocal sound nailed. You can then start to experiment with delays, chorus and some reverb to create space around the vocal.

If your serious about a great vocal plugin just buy waves audio track. Then some decent reverb and Stillwell Audio Rocket you can do pretty much anything you need vocal mixing wise.

On the Fence with Nectar vs Waves Tune lite + ???

Fellas, I like where this discussion is at. I did try a demo of Nectar and really enjoyed the single interface processing it offerred. The advantage of tracking your vocals in (like autotune live) and mixing certainly has an edge over Waves Tune lite. However, I find Waves Tune lite to have a slightly better GUI (which is a big deal when editing vocals). Here's the question.

Is there an "all in one" vocal plugin out there, better than Nectar, minus the Pitch Correction? Where Nectar seems to excel is that it includes a Doubler, which most of the other plugins don't. Waves wants 100.00 just for that alone! Then there's the D-Esser and I believe that's another 100.00. De-Breath 100.00 what's crazy is that the "Signature Plugins" sets strangely omit these tasty processors. I can see why Nectar gets attention. Of course, like any "all in one" solution "separates" would probably outperform it. But, for novices or intermediates it's more about getting "acceptable/clean" results and not "perfect" results.

In reference to Vocal Rider. I may have to get this regardless. I have recently recorded two vocalists and they both were "up & down" and if vocal rider can fix that, it's imma get it. My compression skills are ...ok, but not enough for those types of performances. I work with a lot of "up and coming" Artists that have talent, but are not "studio professionals".

If I could use only ONE plug-in for vocals I am in no doubt: Waves Signature series, CLA (Chris Lord Alge) Vocals Plug-In.
I beleive there is a low-price on it at the moment.
I use it on all vocals at the moment. Just love it.
Download the demo and try it.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

A plugin called "Wave Rider" did it first..
Waves Vocal Rider? Using it. It´s great.
But as mentioned Waves CLA Vocal on the top of the list.
Waves Vocal Rider does not come far behind.
Well, frankly, I can´t really live without Melodyne. :alcoholic:

Last edited:
If I could use only ONE plug-in for vocals I am in no doubt: Waves Signature series, CLA (Chris Lord Alge) Vocals Plug-In.
I beleive there is a low-price on it at the moment.
I use it on all vocals at the moment. Just love it.
Download the demo and try it.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Waves Vocal Rider? Using it. It´s great.
But as mentioned Waves CLA Vocal on the top of the list.
Waves Vocal Rider does not come far behind.
Well, frankly, I can´t really live without Melodyne. :alcoholic:

Vocal rider vs Waves CLA vocals are apples and oranges. One can't do what the other one can do at all. The only issue I have with CLA vocals is it's missing "doubler", De-essing, De-Breath... stuff like that. Please make me understand how it compensates for those processors? I truly believe CLA is cool if you can sing hella good and not need doubling. Otherwise you're spending 100.00s more for each missing feature. I was hoping maybe there's another brand out there like antares or sonnix.

LMAO@ some of these software companies using a Jazz singer to demo "hard tuning". Dude...Jazz singers, folk singers, opera singers, blue grass singers WON'T USE HARD TUNE! So, if you guys wanna make money, hire a POP, NEW R&B, EDM or HIP HOP Vocalist to demo this feature. YOU'RE LOSING MONEY!!! sorry for that rant, but it pisses me off when companies lose money and then lay people off because of making stupid decisions like this.

BTW, have you guys noticed, for the same price of the plugins you can get the actual hardware for the same price or even less is some cases? Check it out! You'll be surprised!

Last edited:
I don't believe you understood where I was comin from. When we mention a plugin like nectar someone mentions what they think is better, but it don't have the same features. The closest waves alternative to nectar is waves vocals for 600.00. Maybe 400.00 if you hustle.

they say an engineer can have a room full of hardware but not know how it all works and can ruin the mix or an engineer can have 3 pieces of equipment that hes real familiar with and make some real outstanding mixes. Its not the plug in that will do the trick its how you use them and why you use them for certain situations. Do the math.

Dude... I can tell you coming in the middle of the mix without reading and maybe it's you who needs to 'do the math'. Read the whole thread and then make a statement before blabbing out some generic hearsay that people use for almost every topic known to man.

i read the first post and that was it. they want the answers and dont lie fool you never heard that before bet you one of those on the black list in this industry. I wasnt directing the post to you it was to who started the thread. dont take it personal noobie.

You gotta be kidding me LOL!!

i read the first post and that was it. they want the answers and dont lie fool you never heard that before bet you one of those on the black list in this industry. I wasnt directing the post to you it was to who started the thread. dont take it personal noobie.

1. You said, "They say". Which meant you obviously heard it from someone else. What makes you think I haven't?
2. Not only has that been used in music, but that same "cliche'" has been used in IT, Deejay, Electronics, Sports, etc. It basically means, "if you're an expert at what you do, you can use anything to accomplish your goal".
3. blacklisted?? LOL Dude, I'm Black! In many places they Black list you just for that LMAO!
4. " I wasn't directing..." right...

I'm done.

I don't believe you understood where I was comin from. When we mention a plugin like nectar someone mentions what they think is better, but it don't have the same features. The closest waves alternative to nectar is waves vocals for 600.00. Maybe 400.00 if you hustle.
If that was to me then I have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Well let's plz not turn this into a digital vs analog shit flinging contest. That's like saying you aren't a real software engineer if you don't program in c++.

I'm a scientific engineer, and the only reason sound engineering and mastering engineers exist as professions is because of it being a specialization of scientific engineering.

Now the only reason the egos of these specialties exist is because ppl like to feel important. The mastering engineer who knows the difference between different plugins and rack equipment is the kind of person I can appreciate. The one who can appreciate the definition that each device brings to a result and the way to get the desired result is the goal of a true engineer in any aspect of scientific engineering. This is actually the goal of the most successful developers releasing plugins like ozone, whose goal is to bring us the best of both worlds by modeling analog processes with linear-precision.

I have seen the development of ozone for the past five years and it gets better with every version. In fact, version 4 was awesome and 5 is even better.

I know they say anyone can use it, but they need to sell their product. I'm a mastering engineer who uses it for electro and dubstep tracks. I have friends with vintage racks, and we all make great music. Those guys are a bunch of house headz. We are all real mastering engineers.

And, I know some producers like handing their work over to another professional, but when I dj, I know how I want my tracks mastered for computer speakers and loud sound systems, so why would I want someone else to do it for me unless they can do exactly what I tell them without any ego about how to get the result I want? I am always learning from other engineers, and there are some whose opinion I respect more than my own, but I even master all the tracks for my label because I'm the one who knows how I want the music reproduced and distributed when I want it done and it saves me from having to buy the beer this weekend. I never sleep so I'm up for playing ball.

This is well said and I can safely say that Stating "Mastering Engineers are not needed" is not entirely accurate. EDM, Hip Hop and most "Sample/Synth Based" Genre's that argument could be made. I recently got Ozone 5 and it made my music sound WAY better. But, to say that I can get the same results from a "Live" recording is a different story. Even more so if you mix in "Mixing and Mastering". Now you're getting down to the "nitty gritty". I've watch my share of Mastering/Mixing videos and the amount of detail it takes to gate drums so they don't bleed or removing noise from a mix is that "next level" shit. Not anybody can do that and that is where the "Mastering Engineers are not needed" statement falls short. I guess you can sum up my thoughts as:

Mastering Electronic/ Hip Hop music "Easy"

Mastering Live Music "hard" (unless the mix is absolutely perfect).

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

Back to Nectar,

I am convinced that there are "separates" that could do a better job than Nectar, in what they do. But, you're spending a lot more and you're required to have more skill too. It's harder to do ,just in the sense of workflow. Nectar has 11 processors, most you may need in one session. So, imagine even a skilled engineer having to deal with adding that many plugins in a chain, doing all that fancy shit...ect. Opening one plugin, closing another, opening up the gate, closing the gate...you see where I'm going. Not everyone wants to spend all day messing with plugins. Some just want it to sound good and move to the next beat. This is where something like Nectar excels. You load it once with the option to load a preset and tweak or start from scratch. Where it also excels the option to track or mix your auto tune. So, it's like having Antares Autotune live and Melodyne (tho not as good) in one package. I don't believe waves tune lite can do this, which is in the mix with my decision. I can safely say, AT lite does what it does better than Nectar, but then it don't have the vocal processors. The person who said, "you can just use dedicated plugin" is correct. But, here's the list of what you would need to equal nectars tool shed.

Waves Tune Lite
Autotune live
Stock compressor
Stock EQ
Desser
DeBreath
Doubler

that's not cheap.

I used nectar on my latest track. "Club On Fiya". Lead vocal verses only, just the compressor only, in parallel mode. I have a thin voice, and my microphone I used, Perception 200 into stock Emu 1820M preamps, is also very harsh.
I have only seen one video that uses the compressor similar to the way I do. Search youtube for Izotope Nectar Warming Vocals With Compression...its in their vocal masterclass series.

I used to double track my lead vocal and lower the double to taste, for thickness. Once I began using parallel compression,with eq driving the parallel comp, I no longer needed to do that. I did this with RComp, in the past, but Izotope Nectar has made it more simple/quick, as far as routing goes.

Nectar is a workhorse.
If I could have only one plugin for vox, this would be the one,
because it can do everything.

If you need a reverb that can cut through a busy mix, nectars can do just that. It has somewhat of a grainy reverb, yet smooth.
Though, usually I am using Lexicon PCM Vintage Plate.

A good engineer, can get world class results out of this plugin, and many others. Its how you use what you got.

Last edited:
Yeah it´s not the gear.
A good engineer can get fantastic results outta stock DAW plugins.
I believe that's the point that has been missed. I'm not a "full time" engineer. I'm a composer/beat maker who wants to spent as little time possible sound shaping and wants tools that will make efficient use of my time.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

If that was to me then I have no idea what you are talking about.

BYW, Kal King sounds hella good dude.

Back