Best Talk Box Plug in

Darksayr

What is tha best emulator plug in or VST that can best mimic tha Talk Box, i.e. Roger and Zapp. I tried like Orange Vocoder and others, they just dont sound like tha real thing. Is there one out that is really good?

I haven't heard of any dedicated plugin yet. You're better off going with the real ting, trust me. The 150$ will save you time and frustration tinkering with auto-tune, vocoder, filters... when you think you got sort of close and then listen to the original you'll feel like you want to reformat your HD.

ez
B#

Native Instruments VOCATOR is a phenomenal piece of software. You can sound like anything through that.

A vocoder and a talk box are pretty different in the way they work.

A vocoder analyzes a signal, and applies the frequency spectrum of that signal to a second signal (this is the quick 'n dirty version).

A talk box is a speaker in an airtight box attached to a tube which you stick in your mouth and then move your lips and tongue to shape the sound.

In general, the talk box sounds throatier, more compressed and midrangey, and more organic.

In general, the vocoder can cover a wide frequency spectrum, and can sound airy or robotic.

I wouldn't use a vocoder to do a talk box's job, and vice versa. More talk-boxy plugins are, say, Audio Ease's Roger, or anything designed to do formant filtering.

One thing I used to do is get a super-cheap pair of headphones from the $1 store, cover the left earpiece in Saran wrap, plug it into my keyboard's headphone output, crank up the level, and stick it in my mouth. Like any talk bos, you need to record this with a microphone, but the results are very cool. You need to be careful of your breath, because this isn't as loud as a standard talkbox, but it works. Try hitting a distortion pedal before your mouth, too.

-Hoax

R2B said:
I've heard good things about the Danelectro. Costs 100 US$ or so.

http://www.music123.com/Danelectro-Free-Speech-Pedal-i86897.music

The Heil talk box is the one Roger Troutman used. It's a bit trickier to hook up though and you still need an extra mic.

BTW the Vokator doesn't cut it at all, neither do formant filters et al. They all sound very digital and more like Daft Punk sort of vox fx.

ez
B#

You gotta be kidding? Those guitar pedals are utter ****e and I dont see how anyone could peddle such rubbish. As for the Vocator, either you dont know how to use it properly or you are talking about a different product entirely. Ive heard some superb stuff done with that.

Delphine said:

You gotta be kidding? Those guitar pedals are utter ****e and I dont see how anyone could peddle such rubbish. As for the Vocator, either you dont know how to use it properly or you are talking about a different product entirely. Ive heard some superb stuff done with that.
You have apparently never listened to Roger Troutman, let alone ever tried to get that exact feel and sound...

I've been to a Zapp gig in the 80s and saw the Heil talk box on stage next to his synth.

peace out

ps. it might have been the Electro Harmonix but it was a silver guitar kick box. Go figure.

Last edited:
R2B said:

You have apparently never listened to Roger Troutman, let alone ever tried to get that exact feel and sound...

I havent listened to Roger Trout no,...
And I certainly have no intentions of sounding like him either,( or anyone else for that matter )

I guess I wont be listening to him in the future either if he sounds like cheap Dane-electro pedals. Why would I want to hear a sound that I think sucks?

Just my opinion though, so don't get all upset over it.

Delphine said:

And I certainly have no intentions of sounding like him either,( or anyone else for that matter )

I guess I wont be listening to him in the future either if he sounds like cheap Dane-electro pedals. Why would I want to hear a sound that I think sucks?

I wasn't the one getting upset... ;) Darksayr was asking a simple question that has a simple answer to it. It's really as simple as that.
ez&out

If you're looking for cheaper pedals...

Get yourself one of those cheap little guitar practice amps. I mean cheap! and small!

Fasten a cheap kitchen funnel to the speaker side of it (wide side toward the speaker). Use duct tape (better) or gaffer's tape to make the little amp/funnel enclosure airtight (except for the small end of the funnel, of course).

Get yourself some cheap plastic tubing that fits snug over the funnel's small end from Home Depot (if you're in the USA) or your local hardware store. Fit it snugly over the small hole in the funnel.

Try it! You'll learn...

-Hoax

Yeah, I am sorry if I came over rude. Forum banter is quite interesting at times because nobody is right, its only 'opinions'.

Anyway, I'm an easy going guy and I accept that this is the internet and we don't know each other, but for the record......... When it sounds like I'm ranting, really I'm not! I'm often smiling ( and moaning, which happens a lot, ask my girl.LOL )

Heh,heh.

Peace!!

Jay.

Hey, its all good. I mean what do U really expect comin to a producer forum anyways? Arent we all supposed to be cocky arrogant egotistical bastards? Ive gotten alot of that already, but luckily not everyone is like that.

Delphine said:

By the way, some other talk box examples that you may be more familiar with are; the weird vocal part that sings "Ca-lif-orn-ia, know's how to par-ty... City of Compton..." in 2Pac's "California Love" ; OR, the main guitarish/vocalish line in Bon Jovi's "Livin on a Prayer" that goes "oooh-aaah, oooh-aaah, ooh, ooh, oooh-aaah"; OR, all those Backstreet Boys songs that used it on their basslines...

:)

dvyce said:

By the way, some other talk box examples that you may be more familiar with are; the weird vocal part that sings "Ca-lif-orn-ia, know's how to par-ty... City of Compton..." in 2Pac's "California Love" ; :)
Nice one mate. That IS Roger Troutman on 2Pac's track. Remember the video where he's sitting in a Madmax style truck with that plastic tube in his mouth...?
R.I.P. Mr. Talkbox

ez&out
B#

yeah, I built one.. and im sitting right next to it as im typing.. I guess I need an amp cuz I'm not getting nearly enough power out of this thing... plus it looks bad lol hahahaha... looks like im shooting up drugs thru a tube in my mouth hehe while mouthing "oooooo wahhhhh". I think I'll just buy the real thing and make life easier on me...

cocopuffz said:
hmm.. got it to work. IF I buy a real talk box.. do I still need an amp?

the banshee talkbox has a built-in amp

i've heard from another post that roger troutman used a moog synthesizer as well to also power sounds through the talkbox, but since i have a vsti minimoog i'm wondering what patch sound he used, cause i've been trying to look for it.

if anyone knows, hit me up thanks

veli said:
the banshee talkbox has a built-in amp

i've heard from another post that roger troutman used a moog synthesizer as well to also power sounds through the talkbox, but since i have a vsti minimoog i'm wondering what patch sound he used, cause i've been trying to look for it.

if anyone knows, hit me up thanks

wow. this is a old thread hehe. Best place to go is talkboxer.com for more information. I'm on my second talkbox since I posted that questions.. "memories...." hhehe.

I think you can use any basic SAWTOOTH wav driven sound source... and tweek it to your liking. But the talkboxer.com should have allllll the info you need. Good luck =)

Back