Best Software to Record/Mix Hip Hop/Rap Audio Vocals

D

Da Joka

I've been using Audacity right now with a condenser mic, and an M-Audio interface, the quality isn't bad. But I want it to have that studio sound to it. Like my music doesn't sound like it'd be on the radio, because I'm not mixing or editing the vocals at all. What is a good program where you can edit/mix the vocals, and is pretty easy to learn?

Try Reaper http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

There are to many to name, just do some research. There is no best, just use what your comfortable with. No program is going to give you the "studio sound" that starts at the source, with the room, the artist, the equipment and the knowledge.

Well yeah I was just asking for suggestions. I'll check out Reaper thanks.

I agree with him the program doesn't give you the sound. The program gives you editing capabilities and filing. The hardware gives you the sound. And for you no matter what program, your gonna get the M-Audio sound with what ever mic your using. Also to get that radio, or professional sound you gotta look into getting your tracks mastered.

Last edited by a moderator:
wildcarddafnman said:
actually i think there is such a program for this, it runs for about $600 bucks, i've had it for some time now, haven't really used it much lately though, but i plan to soon.

it's not your software its your room and your skill that does mastering and if you payed 600 bucks for software that will "master" your music you just got hosed like college coeds at a wet t-shirt contest.

I'd love to know what you guys mean by 'it doesn't have the sound'?

Do you honestly believe this is down to Audacity's summing algorithms or poor processing plug-ins, or the fact that your limited skills are not getting the most out of an already advanced and fully accepted program?

Just interested.

Last edited:
Cool Edit Pro 2.1 or Audition 1.5 or Reaper are all excellent for beginners become they easy to understand.

its all about preference. Some programs are harder to grab than others. Find a program u really like and train yourself extensively on it.

Yeah mastering is not a preset on a vst kind of thing, also try your room acoustics also. I bet your stuff will sound better then...

Yeah mastering is not a preset on a vst kind of thing, also try your room acoustics also. I bet your stuff will sound better then...

Yeah tha room acoustics and signal chain, hardware can be an important factor but not as much as skill, SONAR Pro Edition comes with some pretty good mastering tools.:bat:

Is reaper good for mixing vocals stored as an audio file (mp3/wav/etc) with a beat in a separate file? I need something that will let me load the beat and acapella and save it as one file. I'm using Sony SoundForge but it's a pain in the arse to mix a vocal/beat together because you can't easily position the start of the acapella with the beat. I need something that will allow me to easily move the start of the acapella to and fro so I can sync it up with the beat.

Will reaper do this for me? Thanks in advance. :)

There are tons

FL Studio 6,7 or 8
ACID Pro
Sound Forge

For making music i would recommend Reason

Best Software

First off if you want your quality to sound better. Get a better mic. If you are looking to mix and master your tracks get a program such as Logic Pro 9 or Pro Tools. Depends on what OS you have. For a mac I would strongly recommend Logic Pro. but for PC your best option is Pro Tools. Both of these programs are used by professionals, (I know for a fact that Dr. Dre, Eminem, Lil Wayne and other big artists use Logic Pro). Also both of these programs are capable of mastering your songs. Master your songs doesn't make it sound like "Radio Quality" that's all in your mic and your mixing. Mastering just corrects your EQ so your vocals pop more than the beat. Boosts the volume so it sounds more professional and makes the overall track sound cleaner. But the key is in the mixing. If you mix a track badly it is very difficult to master it well. Logic Pro makes mixing easy once you understand how it works and gives you that professional "Radio" sound you want. I use Logic Pro and work with some of the most respected music engineers in my state. so I am very experienced and educated on this. Trust me. Logic Pro is about $500 but it will change the way your music sounds.

I've been using Audacity right now with a condenser mic, and an M-Audio interface, the quality isn't bad. But I want it to have that studio sound to it. Like my music doesn't sound like it'd be on the radio, because I'm not mixing or editing the vocals at all. What is a good program where you can edit/mix the vocals, and is pretty easy to learn?

Cubase, Pro Tools, Reaper. Choose one and spend time on it.

The best program is the one that you know better, and the quality depends on the producer behinde the software not the software itself :)

Cheers

Back