Best program to record & mix vocals with

cruzumusic

Hi guys!

Recently I have started improving my mixing and mastering skills with making beats. However, when it comes to vocal mixing I am still very weak. I know a lot of people are using Pro Tools with certain plugins, but my MacBook can't run this program due to too small disc space.

I am currently experimenting with Adobe Audition 6 on my old Windows laptop, because I used to use Adobe Audition when I was younger. And for that time, with no knowledge at all, I used to record quite nice vocals. But compared to the quality of vocals in rap music these days, my current mixdowns are... well... shit. :p I have viewed some tutorials on YouTube and it improved a bit, but still I am not pleased because I know it could be better with the hardware I have at the moment: MXL mic & extern sound card (? in Dutch it is called "geluidskaart" so this is literally the translation for it. I can't think of an other word at the moment. Hope y'all understand)

Now my questions are:
  • What do you think is the best program to record & mix vocals with?
  • Should I be able to get (nearly) studio quality vocal mixdowns with Adobe Audition if it's used right?
  • Which program are you using for vocal recordings/mixdowns?

I am looking forward to your replies!! Just tryna get more feeling/knowledge about vocal mixing.

Hi guys!

Recently I have started improving my mixing and mastering skills with making beats. However, when it comes to vocal mixing I am still very weak. I know a lot of people are using Pro Tools with certain plugins, but my MacBook can't run this program due to too small disc space.

I am currently experimenting with Adobe Audition 6 on my old Windows laptop, because I used to use Adobe Audition when I was younger. And for that time, with no knowledge at all, I used to record quite nice vocals. But compared to the quality of vocals in rap music these days, my current mixdowns are... well... shit. :p I have viewed some tutorials on YouTube and it improved a bit, but still I am not pleased because I know it could be better with the hardware I have at the moment: MXL mic & extern sound card (? in Dutch it is called "geluidskaart" so this is literally the translation for it. I can't think of an other word at the moment. Hope y'all understand)

Now my questions are:
  • What do you think is the best program to record & mix vocals with?
  • Should I be able to get (nearly) studio quality vocal mixdowns with Adobe Audition if it's used right?
  • Which program are you using for vocal recordings/mixdowns?

I am looking forward to your replies!! Just tryna get more feeling/knowledge about vocal mixing.

I think it is counter productive to separate out the vocal mixing to a separate approach regarding software. You are right in the sense that with lots of overdubs you need low latency and this is something that is software specific, with differences of a few ms among better audio interfaces. In short, record using as high sample rate as possible so that you get minimal latency and use a low latency audio interface. Then when it comes to the actual software, in terms of latency then Logic version 9 running at 192 kHz sample rate is a good default option. If you are using a PC based system Nuendo version 6 running at 192 kHz sample rate is a good default option. For the vocal processing I recommend hardware, which is of course what the pros use.

I hope my intent to help you with the text above won't get me banned.

Last edited:
Adobe Audition is a great tool to record with...

Then i import to FL Studio and create audio clips, but that takes money to buy Producer's Edition.

But Audition alone will record and has a multi-track mixer that should help you. does audition not have a multi-track mixer anymore? im'm still using Cool Edit PRo 2.0, which is the basic version of Audition and it has a multi-track mixer.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies @DarkRed & @Mike McKeon

Adobe Audition is a great tool to record with...

Then i import to FL Studio and create audio clips, but that takes money to buy Producer's Edition.

But Audition alone will record and has a multi-track mixer that should help you. does audition not have a multi-track mixer anymore? im'm still using Cool Edit PRo 2.0, which is the basic version of Audition and it has a multi-track mixer.

Yes, Adobe Audition has a multi-track mixer I believe. Oh wow Cool Edit Pro! Haha. I used to use that as well haha

Back