best mixed/mastered hip-hop songs/albums (for testing monitors).

N

noahd

hey, i'm finally getting some mackie 824s! i've traditionally gone for a early 90's thick/textured tone on my tracks, but lately i've been feeling some of the more produced/brighter new hip-hop productions. i've always felt dre's production, from the older thick funk stuff to the newer sparce "wow he really made that simple guitar riff sound good" stuff.

that said... i could use some suggestions of music that i should listen to when adjusting my new moniters. like, what album has just the right volume subs? stuff like that. they don't really have to be hip hop tracks, that's just what i make mostly.

i borrowed some mackies before and they have a coupla switches on the back that adjust the sound... one of them sorta cuts the mids and i was having difficult figuring out where to set it cause it seems like it muddied the snare on some albums, but made it too sharp on others.

i know that this stuff is subjective, but i usually borrow a dr.dre cd to test monitors (i've had a constant turnover of borrowed monitors and jenkins speakers). i say borrow, cause i just have vinyl and my old needles and mixer probly wouldn't give me a true listening test.

so i'm just looking for suggestions for albums to calibrate with (especially newer albums, i'd like to "modernize" my sound a little, i've noticed that when i dj, even an old single that i think is well mixed will sound flat compared to newer singles with the newer sound).

also would love to hear opinoins of well mixed dancehall.

thanks a lot!
peace,
noahd

p.s. hey mod. you could add a question mark to the title of this thread if you want, i tried but it wouldn't let me edit the title.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to use Young Jeezy-Thug Motivation for the base,if you make southren tracks. The chronic and I have also been using 50 cent-The massacre bcause I figure they put te most money up for his projects.

chronic 2001.

biggie- life after death

anything from Death Row

busta's big bang was good too

Last edited by a moderator:
Id say Jay-Z's Blueprint i have always thought the mix was excellent and smooth it always seemed like Hov's Vocals were done to perfection. Also Eminem's Encore while not shady's best was well mixed but i guess that goes along with Dre's camp so any thing they touch will be pretty good.

If You Go To DigiDo.com Bob Katz Has A Range Of The Best Mastered CD's Of All Genres.
I'm Afraid The Only Hip Hop Album I've Seen Make The List Is:

Geto Boys - Da Good, Da Bad & Da Ugly

thanks! keep em coming! this is definitly interesting...
the chronic 2000 - that's the cd i already use, so thanks for the reinforcement, it's good to know i'm on the right track with that...
i'll have to check out the mary j blige though, i have some female vocalists imona record soon.

geto boys! wouldn't have thought of that! i'll have to give that a listen.

i'll check out that website, too.
thanks again, y'all,
peace,
noahd

Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek - Reflection Eternal

You'll love the low end on this album.

Hi-tek's bass lines are so warm and the kick drums are perfect.

Just an overall excellent mix.

nice. i never got that album but i have the early talib and mos def singles. the kick drum on universal magnetic is dope. i dunno if this'll get y'all sampling purists all riled up, but a lot of times if i sample a kickdrum from a jazz record and i want to fatten it up, i'll cut the high end off of a kickdrum from a rap record so it's just the bassier frequences and then layer it under. the kick from universal magnetic works real good for that.
peace,
n.deezl

Resinate said:
Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek - Reflection Eternal

You'll love the low end on this album.

Hi-tek's bass lines are so warm and the kick drums are perfect.

Just an overall excellent mix.

i agree

noahd said:
i borrowed some mackies before and they have a coupla switches on the back that adjust the sound... one of them sorta cuts the mids and i was having difficult figuring out where to set it cause it seems like it muddied the snare on some albums, but made it too sharp on others.

Those switches are to be set according to the environment that you are using the monitors in.

check this:

MORE CONTROLS = MORE OPTIONS

On the rear panel of the HR824 you'll find some very useful controls:
Rear_1.gif
Acoustic Space Control
Ideally, your monitor speakers should be placed well away from wall surfaces. But this isn't always easy in small project studios and video post suites. The HR824 has a 3-position switch that can be set for full space (way out from the walls), half-space (against a back wall), or quarter space (in a corner). The Acoustic Space Control, for accurate bass in a small control room.​
Rear_2.gif
LF Roll-Off
The HR824 plays considerably lower than most home stereo speakers can go. So we provided you with an 80Hz Roll-Off switch to temporarily disable extremely low bass when mixing for AM radios, boom boxes, and old people who rarely attend raves.​
Rear_3.gif
High Frequency
Although we expect that you have acoustic treatment in your control room (egg crates, wall carpets with dogs playing cards, etc.), there may be times you might be using your HR824s in larger, more live spaces such as a conference room. For these occasions, we've included a high frequency shelving control that reduces frequencies above 10kHz by 2dB. Conversely, in rooms where high frequency content is easily absorbed, a 2dB boost is available.​

Peace!

Best things to do is to listen to music that you liken your music to.

The Chronic 2001 could be a fan-favorite but the sound is not a sound that you hear in other albums.

If that's the sound you aim for, it's good to use as a reference but keep in mind that your composition itself has a lot to do with the sound of things also. The finished product/sound is something you have to keep in mind from step one.

Back