Best Master Verb Settings.

Are you talking about putting a reverb directly on the mixbus? Or are you talking about a global reverb that you are sending multiple tracks to? If you're talking about the first one, IDK.. I've never put a reverb on the master track.. but as far as global reverbs, it's really dependent on your taste and the song. As far as free, just do a google search and start downloading them and trying them yourself, that's going to be the best way to decide what you think is best for ANY plugin. There is no "best." You'll hear time and time again about pros using certain cheap stuff because they like how it sounds.. it's just about developing your own taste and what YOU like. It's rarely about what you use, but how you use it.

It's rarely about what you use, but how you use it.

It is both, because every product does not perform equally well relative to your goals. If it does not perform well, it means "the how to use it" is going to change, possibly into not using that gear at all.

I do think a master can have not just one reverb but several reverbs sitting on the mix bus, when the mix is good. But to get a nice effect out of the reverb on the mix bus, I think you need to mix it in at loud volume. Several of my best masters have had a Bricasti sitting on it but there are software options like Altiverb that can do great stuff too. Basically it is about how good the reverb is. A very beautiful reverb works, putting it on the mix bus is not going to remove the beauty of it.

Another thing to consider here is whether you put it in front of the limiter, after the limiter or both before and after. The reverb I'm mentioning here is placed after the limiter, but you can definitely put one before the limiter as well, even both before and after the limiter. I would say it is best to place reverb both before and after the limiter. I also think that you should use the reverb to make you not have to widen the tracks as much with other effects.

Last edited:
I would stay away from master/global reverbs unless you're using it to shape the sound of your mix for example if you're arranging some orchestral music, but even then I would wait until mastering to touch global elements of a track most of the time.

For master reverbs I recommend ValhallaRoom VintageVerb as it has a lot of useful controls like my favorite, the accurate LP and HP filters and most importantly a very clean reverb in the "Bright Room" mode and "NOW" color settings. There are many great alternatives, even free alternatives. But remember, if it sounds good, it's good!

Thanks guys I learned a lot! I am just selectively applying it to the breakdowns for more movement and transitioning effects. But I like the idea of a little before and after the limiter as well! I'm going to look up the Bricasti reverb :) sounds great

I'm going to look up the Bricasti reverb :) sounds great

Well...the real Bricasti M7 costs almost $4k. But there are some decent IRs out there taken from it. Not the same thing, but at least you'll get a taste of its tone (and frankly, even the best reverb in the world isn't gonna be that much better).

Back