The best condenser mic for recording vocals under 1000$

I swear i saw Morning say Bock 195...maybe another thread. I don't recommend you get a $1000 mic. A $1000 pre would be a better investment and more use full at the moment. Then invest in a better mic down the road. A great pre and a crappy mic sound better than a crappy pre and a great mic.

was looking into buying a rode NT2-A myself, have a SM58 which im using for the time being. the 58 aint bad but sometimes it needs a lot of tweaking to get the proper brightness in the vocals. wouldnt say im too experienced in the whole recording vocals though

I swear i saw Morning say Bock 195...maybe another thread. I don't recommend you get a $1000 mic. A $1000 pre would be a better investment and more use full at the moment. Then invest in a better mic down the road. A great pre and a crappy mic sound better than a crappy pre and a great mic.

That's cause the Bock Audio is one of the best mics under $3000 and people don't know because they are so bent up on buying the hype mics like Rode NT-1A's which is one of the worst sounding mics I've ever used. Very harsh, metallic and silibant. Sounds like a tin can.

The C414 is a great mic but it's def not a one stop purchase. The most popular professional vocal mic is the U87. And the Bock Audio is a similar sounding mic at one third of the cost. The only other mic I would even look at for a main vocal mic under $1000 is a SM7b or a AT4050. Maybe a Blueberry. Other great mics are the Rode NTK and K2 but they aren't my style.

But I co-sign on the preamp though. I'd rather have a Baby Bottle and a BLA Auteur over any $1000 mic through a crappy pre.

That's cause the Bock Audio is one of the best mics under $3000 and people don't know because they are so bent up on buying the hype mics like Rode NT-1A's which is one of the worst sounding mics I've ever used. Very harsh, metallic and silibant. Sounds like a tin can.

The C414 is a great mic but it's def not a one stop purchase.

Agreed. The 414 is good when the pre behind it is good.

was looking into buying a rode NT2-A myself, have a SM58 which im using for the time being. the 58 aint bad but sometimes it needs a lot of tweaking to get the proper brightness in the vocals.
i agree... i useta use the SM58 bcuz i had nothin else... the SM58 is a stage mic... it requires alot of eq'in in the booth... once i got the Rode NT1000, it was like nite n day... Rode has great condenser mics for under $500... mines was $299... im happy with my purchase... been usin it for 5-6 yrs now... no one has complained.

da relic

AKG C 414

Its a great versatile mic. The new version got five pattern choices as well so your not just limited to vox with it.

The older ULS got a great full warm sound.
check it out

SMH@ assuming price is an indicator of quality...you can find a sh*tload of mics for under $200 and spend the rest on a good preamp and you'll be sh*tting on 95% of recording setups.

Studio Projects B1(condenser)($399)
Really Nice Preamp(that's the name of it)($499)

By the way condenser's aren't that great for rap vocals especially if your room isn't treated(they pick up every nuance of a performance and are more susceptible to overloading/mic clipping)

so what would be the more suitable mic for a rapper, who also is very versatile?:cool:

The best mic's for hip-hop recording is large diaphragm dynamic mics such as the SM7b or the EV RE20. The Heil Pro 30 or 40 is good too.

But you need a good preamp to get good recordings. The Rane is a good option for $200.

Some condenser mics are great for recording rap vocals. The c414 for example is great at handling high spl levels.

I like the Avatone CV-12. It's only $500. It's modeled after a C-12. Spend the rest on a good pre. You can get some good results from a SM7b out the right pre though.

chain:
Nice mic - (nice (hardware) compressor/eq) - nice pre - nice interface

Can all be done with 1000 dollar (esp. with used gear) not high end tho

for pre's I can only recommand the Duet (apogee) and the BLA (Black Lion Auteur) those I've worked with, but the Rosetta (expensive though) has great reviews as well.

I've been looking to upgrade my mic, because of lack of vocal quality recording. What condenser mic would you recommend for less then a grand that you think can get a decent quality for recording vocals.

Any help would be appreciated it.

Thank you for your time.

Im gonna have to recommend you the Rode NT2A...Great sound with nice airy highs..only thing about this mic it is picky with mic pres..you cant really get by with using a "cheap" pre with it..but check it out, all of the songs in my signature was recorded using that mic..1

I don't have much experience with a condenser mic, but while searching the web I found some best resources. If you're looking for the same that is used to record music at home, for podcasting or the alternative for the stage work then you should take a look at this best condenser mic under $50.

I've been using an AKG Perception 200 since like 2006. It works fine for me and it only cost me like 180 bucks or something. Maybe 160.
Here's a link to songs that were recorded with it:
Quit My Day Job | phil phlaymz

Every song was recorded with that mic, in my living room, except for track 4 which was recorded between Quad Studios on a U87 and a Miami home studio using a KSM32 (another good one under 1000).

These days they have the AKG Perception 220. Try it out. I've kept mine for over 10 years now, with no complaints.

Back