The best condenser mic for recording vocals under 1000$

dude..............im not bashing you im trying to help

by rig i ment gear not the comp or speakers

sell the mbox2 and digi 001 and search for a digi 002 with a black lion audio mod ive seen the full mod on the unit for under a g and keep your mic problem solved

Last edited:
dude..............im not bashing you im trying to help

by rig i ment gear not the comp or speakers

sell the mbox2 and digi 001 and search for a digi 002 with a black lion audio mod ive seen the full mod on the unit for under a g and keep your mic problem solved

Nah don't get me wrong fam, I wasn't talking trash,

I appreciate the advise and all the help that you and everyone else that replied back with information. Also I understand what you mean now, I know your right, the digi 002 would help, thats a good idea but my current mic sucks so I would still have the same problems in terms of the quality of mic recording.

Nah don't get me wrong fam, I wasn't talking trash,

I appreciate the advise and all the help that you and everyone else that replied back with information. Also I understand what you mean now, I know your right, the digi 002 would help, thats a good idea but my current mic sucks so I would still have the same problems in terms of the quality of mic recording.

good ****......i looked at **** on craigslist for you i couldnt find much of anything to be honest ill check again in a few days dont let your money burn a hole in your pocket

You know what, if you wanna get a condenser mic get a Rode NT1A. It pretty good for around 250 bucks and you will have plenty of money afterward to buy X-Mas gifts. My only gripe is that I wanted a matched pair, but I only have one.

But ignoring the great range of mics out there that arent condensers is really short-sighted. Like I said before, the RE20, SM7b, Blue Encore 100, and yes, even the unappreciated SM58 (which share the same capsule as the SM7b) are still viable choices for vocals. Dynamic mics have been used on a number of recordings (ie Bono vocals on Joshua Tree was the SM7b) but that is only a part of the equation. The rest of that equation deals with the rest of the signal chain (cable, preamp, EQ/Compressor/other, AD/DA converter).

Maybe others will blow it off as choosing to take the opposition, but there are a number a great recording engineers (Bruce Swedien) that swear by dynamic mics for aggressive rappers/singers/loud sound sources. It won't sound muffled, lo-fi, or whatever people thing dynamic mics sound like.

But here is the thing, you won't know the difference until you try alot of different mics on alot of different singers. I am only going by what I have done. Sometimes, a great condenser won't work on a particular vocalist and the "sound" you may be looking for isn't a capacitor mic.

So to wrap it all up, choose you mics wisely. Try out different things and don't waste money on too much gear.

-1-

Last edited:
Red Scare, Good Post. I use an AT4050, BLA Auteur preamp, and Fast Track Pro, soon to be a BLA Sparrow converter. This is really all you need for vocals honestly. A quality mic, preamp, and converter. Fast computer too of course. And please don't tell me you're dropping a grand on a mic and don't even have sound treatment.
Far as mics go, I'd suggest getting the best preamp you can afford, and like the above post said, get the best mic that does your voice justice.
BTW I use this setup to record and make money with, and I've heard no complaints at all so far, our clients love the quality.

Last edited:
Red Scare, Good Post. I use an AT4050, BLA Auteur preamp, and Fast Track Pro, soon to be a BLA Sparrow converter. This is really all you need for vocals honestly. A quality mic, preamp, and converter. Fast computer too of course. And please don't tell me you're dropping a grand on a mic and don't even have sound treatment.
Far as mics go, I'd suggest getting the best preamp you can afford, and like the above post said, get the best mic that does your voice justice.
BTW I use this setup to record and make money with, and I've heard no complaints at all so far, our clients love the quality.

AT4050 is a great option. It works for almost everyone....

Lol yeah except for mine >_<. Bassy, deep and boomy. Gets really muddy on my voice.

well at least you know which mic NOT to use. Quick question, do you engage the HPF on your audio interface or on the preamp you use?? If you did, it would take care of most of that boominess....

-1-

Actually i use the one on the mic, still sounds like that. I have a booth treated with foam and bass traps too. Not hard to eq out, just a pain.

Actually i use the one on the mic, still sounds like that. I have a booth treated with foam and bass traps too. Not hard to eq out, just a pain.

Yeah....

Too bad....

Sidenote, I wish I had a Telefunken U47. It makes everything sound great!!!

-1-

27.jpg

I've had the opportunity to work with a few different mics and I personally like the Audio Technica 4033 and 4047. I currently use a 4047.

I had great results out of the AT2020, and my 4050 is fantastic on most vocals I throw at it. Never used Rode, but Ive heard good and bad about them...

Back