BEATMAKERS - do you master your beats?

the.boy

Hi all,

I have recently started producing beats and I'm really enjoying it. I love just kicking back and making a real nice beat. People are liking them so I thought I'll start selling them online (My own website with an embedded player). Now I'm not sure if I should be mastering my beats before I sell them? I would have thought no, because surely that should be done at the end of a track with vocals on? But I have been talking with some other beat makers online (some pretty big and have sold beats to huge artists) and they say that they master their beats before they sell (use maximus, l1 ultramaximser etc). So my question is, what is the correct/professional/preferred way? And also, what DB should I have all my beats hitting at?

Thanks!

in my opinion more professional on this question doesn't exists. I prefer to only mix what I produce, I think it's the way the person works.

i honestly think that if you just started producing beats that you have quite some time to think about moving along to mastering.

but, in terms of mastering, it sure helps to find someone who shares your vision and passion for music. in my personal observations, i have found quite a few studio engineers distasteful and unpleasant to work with.

i have a good friend i work with so, i am most fortunate in that aspect.

if this makes sense, you really need a different perspective on your material. someone else to take a look/listen to what you have done and sculpt it in a way that will enhance it without bias.i

guess in the end, it depends on what you mean by "selling" the material. do you mean you will part ways with it completely or that you will retain rights to it? if your name is attached to it, then you should have the absolute best product that you can produce, right?

Last edited:
It depends. As a producer I'd want non-mastered beats. If they had a bit of compression that would be fine if it added to the character of the beat, but not totally mastered. However, you could offer the option (two versions of each)?

Yeah, offer both a mixed and mastered version. The best of both. Then whoever purchases your beats have options.

I completely agree with the above!

Make a non-mastered bounce, a mastered bounce and also a bounce with atleast 6db headroom for those who want to bring the beat to a professional audio engineer for mastering!

Last edited:
Yeah thats what i want to do. I sell my beats on my website via a beatplayer and no beat players have the option to do this, its abit stupid i think

Yeah thats what i want to do. I sell my beats on my website via a beatplayer and no beat players have the option to do this, its abit stupid i think

Well, you can always write somewhere on your website that the beats offered in the player are mastered (or un-mastered) and that you also offer other versions off the same beats?

Back