Bassline question

E

Egopanic

Hey guys, I need your help.

There is this House track called "Power" by Patrick Alavi. It`s not one more of those "how-will-I-get-this-sound"-questions, but I am wondering how the hell he gets his basslines kind of 3 dimensional. The bass is not stereo, it`s mono. I am not interested in what synth or whatever he used and I don`t want to get exact the same sound (I know how to make a good bass), I want to know how you make it sound that BIG? One of the key elements is compression and good eqing that`s for sure but what else could help to push it like this?

It`s not the best quality but you can listen to an extract of the song on:
www.work-it-baby.com
Go to "music" and then click on the arrows until you`re at PATRICK ALAVI "POWER AND GLORY"(WIB005).

I appreciate your help...

And don`t get me wrong: I know that basses are usually mono. I am saying this, because it`s kind of 3 dimensional without being stereo.

And I know that it`s probably double or even triple layered...

Last edited by a moderator:
ego,
i just saved the SWF files and am going to extract wavs later. i will have a good look and listen to it later and give you my thoughts once ive done so.

just wanted you to know you werent being ignored meantime :)

I'm a massive fan of Pat Alavi. I love the bass driven tunes he produces. One of my favs is Tribute. Don't know a song like it that is as bass intense. His bass is so distinctive. Wouldn't surprise my if he used a bass guitar for some of his tracks to be honest. Very difficult to emulate some of his sounds with a midi Keyboard. I
would like to know though if anyone could shed any light.

I don't really hear what you mean by 3 dimensional. The bass is really up front and in your face but to me it sounds very dry and very very mono and centered.

I did a lil' test, sampled the sound bit and converted it to mono in Soundforge. The bass and the kick don't change at all their character but all the rest around it. It's almost like the image totally collapses what makes me suspect that the sample is not 100% in phase. Perhaps it's some sort of acoustical illusion that the bass lifts out of the image when listened to in stereo.

weird though...

ez&out
B#

Back