Bass+kick managment help

Mistr22

Hello there, this is my first post and i am getting bit confused. So my main question is, how the hell can I manage a good bass? Lets get into it, for good imagination i basicly use this chords: D, A♯, F, C .

Obviously i have melody and some synths on higher Frequencies, some light white noise etc etc. Thats all fine, buut, I realy wanted to have a decent bass with a kick. So, i made a kick in "D" chord, with a big click so its noticable while bass is playing. But, i wanted to have that bass realy noticable and melodic. What i mean, the bass is basicly gonna play all of those chords mentioned above, but the problem is its not stable. When its on D its fine, than it goes down on A♯ its too low and it hits different Frequencies , than when its going on F its too high. So, I had a idea of havig 2 basses, one from 200-80 Frequencies which would play the chords, and than the second one which would play from 80-30 Frequencies and would be only the buzzling, the deep frequencies. But I experimented alot, with it i cuted alot frequencies tried to boost, tried compressions with lower attack and vice verse, i tried Maximier form waves, etc but nothing realy impressed me. Its bit jumpy and not stable as Id like to have it. When I have different song with different chords, that are realy close to each other, its realy good but those chords has about 2 notes/tones difference.

Edit:// I use fl Studio 3x OSC for bass. I tried sylenth1 but it was pretty much the same thing. I tried using Fabfilter C for compresion, waves L3 maximizer and Waves reneisance bass.

So thank you for reading and I hope we can all learn something from this post :)

Last edited:
You use chords for a Kick? as in, 2 (usually 3) notes or not hitting simultaneously?

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but for kick i only use one Key which is the first note, of first chord, which is the "D" note . Are you suggesting me to use kick that would progress with next chords?

I am not a native english speaker so I apologise for my bad explained problem :D .

For better explnation, lets imagine this is the playlist:

Kick: D-> D-> D-> D
Bass: D-> A#-> F -> C

So my issue is, the bass, the low frequencies from 150-30 are realy jumpy and not stable, and its kinda noticable. Its caused because those keys are having big spaces between them, so one is too high and second too down, but if i make them different, it ****s up the melody than. I hope I understood your qeustion correctly and I hope I explained correctly aswell. I tried different plugins and different compressions, but i wasnt satisfied yet, thats why I ask there, thanks to everyone who respond and thank you Biffro too

I don't ever change the pitch of my kicks... I just find one that fits with what I'm doing with the rest of the track.

well if I understood what's above there, you want your bass to be noticed and melodic yet your facing problems when going from note to note and it does not satisfy you, well there is few things you can try, and I'm gonna suggest you a sulotion (based on my DAW which is FL)
- first lower some freq on the kick around 35 to 21db just about -4 to -6db so the bass wil have more room on the low end (for low keys such as D >#A)
- second you want to make sure the bass is cuting it self (means that the bass would note continue playing the first note as it hits the next one)
- third use slides just before the next note to make it feel more spontaneous as it's jumping note to note (depends on your taste and the kind of music your making) and if it is a hiphop track and the bass is 808 make sure you don't stay in high notes for too long (make it sound like a jump)
- you can also distort you bass so it more obvious (harmonic exciter might also work just fine)
- if you want to bring out your kick use sidechaining
last thing not to go extreme on compression

Last edited:
Hello guys, thanks alot for your responds.
I don't ever change the pitch of my kicks... I just find one that fits with what I'm doing with the rest of the track.
Well kinda ye, but pitching it a bit isnt that bad, like good example is plugin from nicky romero, that kick synth I forgot name, but its realy minor so its not a big deal :)

well if I understood what's above there, you want your bass to be noticed and melodic yet your facing problems when going from note to note and it does not satisfy you, well there is few things you can try, and I'm gonna suggest you a sulotion (based on my DAW which is FL)
- first lower some freq on the kick around 35 to 21db just about -4 to -6db so the bass wil have more room on the low end (for low keys such as D >#A)
- second you want to make sure the bass is cuting it self (means that the bass would note continue playing the first note as it hits the next one)
- third use slides just before the next note to make it feel more spontaneous as it's jumping note to note (depends on your taste and the kind of music your making) and if it is a hiphop track and the bass is 808 make sure you don't stay in high notes for too long (make it sound like a jump)
- you can also distort you bass so it more obvious (harmonic exciter might also work just fine)
- if you want to bring out your kick use sidechaining
last thing not to go extreme on compression

First off all, thanks alot for your very good respond, thing is, most of stuff what you said is good. Buut, what you wrote there

How the hell to do that? I mean, I had that idea, and what i did is I cuted frequencies from 0 to lets say 60, And that bass would ONLY play first note, which is the "D" . And than second bass which would play from 60 lets say 150 which would play all the notes that goes after a D. But it didnt sound well to me, i tried and played with it so much around but couldnt figure best way. For a good example here is the sound what I mean - https://soundcloud.com/matej-mistr-nosek/mistr-matt-d-key/s-ewQ8s

i made one more for good explanation - https://soundcloud.com/matej-mistr-nosek/bass-help/s-F2Lvm

You can clearly hear that buss being jumpy, if you use any frequency analyzer(Spectrum analyzer for example as VST) and you would see that frequencies jumping. So how do I fix that please? I am about to die how angry I am :D

Thanks alot

did you remove everything from below 60 hz?
Hello, thanks for you answer .)

Lets say I would remove everything under 60 Hz on Master bus and than what? If you have subwoofer you wanna enjoy that bass I guess, or I am not sure what you mean? You wanna make separated bass layer thats under 60 Hz?

//Edit: Well Even I cuted everything under 60 Hz on master bus, it didnt realy fit my needs :D Like, that bass thats about 60-100 is still so shaking, its like jumping and not stable.

Last edited:
anything below 60 hz isnt really hearable so just get rid of it on the master. also make sure your bass is in mono. It sounds to me like your bass is distorting. theres alot of videos on youtube for mixing bass. id start there.

Hello everyone, i have been working out on some things, but I cant get it to point its actualy sound good to me.... I literaly wanna destroy everything around me :D So Here is my demo, ignore the build up etc, i didnt realy care about it, what I care about is that Bass which comes after the drop

Here is demo of song : https://soundcloud.com/matej-mistr-nosek/mistr-matt-dream/s-2bj1z

And you can hear the first note of bass is realy loud and the others aint. I am realy getting lost there. I tried limiting it and compresing with low attack so the compress start straight but i dont know, its just not that good. I tried alot of things but cant get it to te point i want it

Back