Bass

L

Lil Loco

Hey, when i mix a track alot of my bass seems to disapper. But if i dont mix the track the base can be to much.
whats the best way around this? is it using a compressor? Im new to mixing, but i cant seem to get this just right.
Thankz.
Lil Loco

Lil Loco said:
Hey, when i mix a track alot of my bass seems to disapper. But if i dont mix the track the base can be to much.
whats the best way around this? is it using a compressor? Im new to mixing, but i cant seem to get this just right.
Thankz.
Lil Loco

You are obviously doing something when you "mix" that is ruining your bass.

Whatever you are doing... do less of it.

Since your bass sounds worse after you attempt to "mix", you are not mixing well.

Good mixing skills take years to develop. Keep practicing and reading up on mixing techniques. If you don't really understand what you are doing, trying to "mix" will probably just hurt your music. Everything you do in a mix should be purposeful... you should know exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it.

Study. Practice. Learn.

dvyce said:
Whatever you are doing... do less of it.Study. Practice. Learn.
Yeah, I would pay attention to exactly when your bass disappears and skip/adjust that step.

Loco, it almost sounds like you're following a format. A mix is meant to fix or enhance elements. Every song needs different treatment. Before touchig the EQ, listen first and think about what you're trying to accomplish. Are you looking to get an instrument to fit into the mix? Are you looking to make it stand out? And when working with EQ, scan the frequency range to hear exactly where the fix/enhancement should be made.

So, before you mix, you tend to have too much bass? Are you referring to the volume of the bass or excessive sub-bass? If it's the volume, try dropping the volume on the bass track. If it's sub-bass frequencies, try shelfing or hi-passing the frequencies at 40dbs or so.

when i mix a track alot of my bass seems to disapper
There could be a lot of reasons why that could happen.

1: Maby you just need to turn the volume of the bass instrument up (or turn everything else down).

2: Maby your your other instruments are too bass heavy and are interfering with your bass. Perhaps a bit of bass cut on the offending instruments will help your bass to stand out (kick drum and bass can easly cause each other problems).

3: A compressor may help, by increasing the volume of the bass, but also avoiding clipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back