Basic pro setup

DarkRed

Here is a basic 1 pro setup (excluding your DAW and insurance) for anyone that now quickly wants to take the productions to the next level without thinking that much more about it... (Basic 2 pro setup includes stuff like acoustic treatment)

PRISM DREAM AD-2

Prism Dream AD-2 - Vintage King Audio
$9,850.00

PRISM DREAM DA-2
Prism Dream DA-2 - Vintage King Audio
$9,025.00

ATC LOUDSPEAKERS SCM150ASL PRO - PAIR
ATC Loudspeakers SCM150ASL Pro - Pair - Vintage King Audio
$20,590.00

PRISM SOUND MASELEC MEA-2 MASTERING EQUALIZER
Prism Sound Maselec MEA-2 Mastering Equalizer - Vintage King Audio
$6,915.00

PRISM SOUND MASELEC MLA-2 MASTERING COMPRESSOR
Prism Sound Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor - Vintage King Audio
$4,195.00

----------------------------
GRAND TOTAL: $50,575.00

It is just 5 add to cart clicks, your credit card number and then you just have to wait for the products to arrive...

So for comparison the price/value is roughly slightly cheaper than a 2017 Corvette Stingray...
http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-stingray.html

Somebody asked me would I spend $75,000.00 per year in loans for attending a music education? Financially speaking it is not worth it, because the money you spend on the gear above you can to some degree get back if it fails but on the plus side this gear can make you earn money, but if you spend this money on a music education you cannot get any money back if it fails, except if you would find some insurance that covers that situation, but I doubt that would be safe enough...

Music academies etc. of course hate to read stuff like this, but it is the truth, you have to think of what's at stake here. Academies must hence be extremely creative about how they ensure people investing in education really can convert that education into money to pay off the loans. That's what it is all about in reality in the first stage. Everything on top of that is of course the joy... (when music is your passion)

I think academies should bundle the education with a job position at a studio to pay off the loan. As long as they don't do that, they can keep their academies to themselves...

Last edited:
If you accept to spend ten times the minimal entry ticket, Vintage King is a good provider.
- For 10K dollars you only have a A/D converter with no analog source as a tape recorder or a vinyle player.
- For 9K dollars in a D/A converter, only 96KHz is allowed with no access to the DSD format.
- Analog processor don't have the best performances in the digital age.
- ATC uses a vintage technology which is overrated.
- No acoustic treatment is included in this 50K dollars bill, despite it's a key point of a serious mastering room.
You should have serious lectures/readings, and forget the usual marketing blabla...

If you accept to spend ten times the minimal entry ticket, Vintage King is a good provider.
- For 10K dollars you only have a A/D converter with no analog source as a tape recorder or a vinyle player.
- For 9K dollars in a D/A converter, only 96KHz is allowed with no access to the DSD format.
- Analog processor don't have the best performances in the digital age.
- ATC uses a vintage technology which is overrated.
- No acoustic treatment is included in this 50K dollars bill, despite it's a key point of a serious mastering room.
You should have serious lectures/readings, and forget the usual marketing blabla...

Among the points above the acoustic treatment was something that had to be mentioned in my post, goes into basic 2 pro setup and now this blows everyone's budget. :D

Last edited:
I was under the impression that a pro could use any equipment, given any budget. There's no such thing as a 'pro' set up.

Are you gonna share some of your pro work or what?

You need a descent budget. A pro needs real equiments with real specs. Hype and marketing blabla are from no help to get a good sound. Solid audio skills are much more useful.

Pros have expensive gear because they work on projects with large budgets and demanding specs.

Many pros will have access to high end studios but do small projects on the side using far more modest gear because that's what the budget dictates.

Pros scale their requirements with the project, they aren't pros because of those requirements.

Back