backing vocals

J

jsuyat

I am a member of the music team of our church here in Kuwait. I do mixing of our live praise and worship. We have 4 backup vocals with one song leader or lead vocals. We use a sequencer and one keyboard player making it like a big band. My problem is how to mix properly the backing vocals so that they sound like one voice. Each of the backup vocals have a microphone. We use Shure Beta 58A micrpohones. We have a Mackie VLZPRO 24.4 mixer. How about effects processors for vocals? Can you suggest brands and settings?

For more voices sense:

Open panning in a goog truck .(to diferent vocal tracks)
Delay some voices some miliseconds and pan in to open set.
Insert a pitch Shifter on some voices with a bit of detune and pan in too.
Reberb is a helpfull device.
Is a monophonic line of voices?Then is more dificult.
If you had recording in a small place can sound close . then you must put the mics with much distance to capture the hall sense and to open the mix.

For a good sync:

A good interpretation first.
Vocal Align for Proo Tools and other plataforms can put the vocal tracks very close . Its OK for backing vocals.
If you don´t want to buy it . Editing the tracks in a software program you can sync they .
Use the scissors to cut the separate ends and beginigs and fade it to smoth edit.
Copy the display waveform of correct track to wrong tracks editing like i say. Its is a cheap truck.

But the real truck is a good record good vocals with good mics:)

Last edited:
JUANJOLENNON,
Thanks for your reply. We use CAKEWALK SONAR version 1 as our sequencer and hard disk recorder as well. Our problem is, the sound card is only one meaning that you can record two channels only. SInce we record live, we need more sound cards to record all the channels like a multitrack recorder. AARDVARK Q10 is a good choice but it's beyond our budget. We will consider adding reverb as you suggested.

The usual effects for vocals are:

Eq
Comp
Deesser
Autotune
Reberb

Read "AirproVocals" in "Thin sound" Directory of this web:cool:

Back