Automating question (any DAW)

D

dylanf

hey guys , i have a question
when you guys automate (pitch to lfo to volume etc )
is it while making your track or while mixing the made track ?

Last edited by a moderator:
When you do it is in your favour, personally I like doing that while tracking because that's encouraging yourself to let out the ideas you have because you might forget that idea then come back to it in mixing and forget what you were gonna do.

I usually do my panning automation during my mixing process, and do the volume automation when I finishing up the mix. I like to get the volumes right then automate just to fix any other issues with the volume.

Just a matter of preference, although you can use a plugin on your mixer track that controls volume and just automate that to keep from having to redo the other automations if the output is changed. If you use fl studio, fruity balance can be used to do this.

Depends on what I am doing but the great thing about the technology is you can edit just about whatever you want, like I could record a live guitar running through effects and edit those effects after the initial recording provided I have a dry signal to work with, I can create a whole bunch of controller lanes for alternative takes if I want.

Back